Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chirag_patel7153

Help me make these walls pop..please

chirag patel
last month

These walls look to bare. What can I do? Can I add some picture frame moulding above the sofas? Will it look good? What other options?

Comments (22)

• Theresa Peterson
    last month
    last modified: last month

Your walls are calling out for some color -- something deep, something with personality. Then you need some artwork and curtains. I'd consider, too, a rug with color to match the walls and art -- you have too much gray here.

• chispa
    last month

You have a lot going on in the space. I wouldn't add any moulding of any kind, which would just add visual clutter. I would only add one large piece of art over the sofa.

• cat_ky
    last month

It looks plain, because you havent finished decorating it yet. Get some art on the walls. A coffee table. Looks like little kids and you have a sectional, so look for a round one. It needs end tables with lamps on them, and some pillows on the couch that have color, rather than the ones that came with the couch. Is there not room for a playroom elsewhere. Way too many toys for a living room, where you might have guests? If they must stay there, then add some cabinets, so they can be put away, or some nice looking totes, with lids. I dont know the colors you like, so hard to suggest colors for the room, but, it desperately needs some. Everything is all the whitish color, and nothing that makes the room inviting. Maybe find a nice piece of art with colors you like and put above the couch. Pick draperys for the window, with a color from the art. The one picture I do see on the wall opposite the window, is way too high up. Pictures should be placed at eye level. If you are very tall, then move them down below eye level, so they are at eye level of others. The large picture over the couch, should be 8-10 inches above the back of the couch

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    last month

If I were to do picture frame moulding---do i let it go behind the sofa or stop it couple inches above sofa??

• cat_ky
    last month

No picture frame moulding. That will not be a good look. Makes no sense either.

• shirlpp
    last month

Decide on storage for all the clutter in the room, then put artwork on the walls. Window curtains are needed as well.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last month

No wall molding! The room is already plain and uninteresting.

As others said, minimize the dull cold gray. Add color! Are you afraid of it? Toss all the gray pillows and get some color going in new pillows, BIG art, a new rug, draperies, etc.

This piece will tie in with your couch but also lead you into some handsome color. (It’s hung too high in this picture, though. The tiny picture I see in your photo, left of the window, is also hung too high.)

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    last month

Damn yall are hating on picture frame moulding?!! Something like below picture won't look good??

• cat_ky
    last month

No, it wont look good. It is color you need, not picture framing. Most everyone here has mentioned that you need color and you dont seem to be interested in that. Picture framing is just as boring as the rest of the room.

• millworkman
    last month

" Damn yall are hating on picture frame moulding?!! Something like below picture won't look good?? "

No one is hating on picture frame moulding, just needs to be the right application. Picture frame moulding is not appropriate for the style of the room in my opinion, it is more formal. Curtains, wall art, real end tables, maybe a coffee table. But no picture moulding.

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    last month

Alright arlight ..you all win! If someone could help me with color, that would be great! Something dark or light, I don't know. Thanks!

• cat_ky
    last month

Look for a large picture that will be centered over the right hand couch. Something that you really like, or look for a rug in colors that you actually like. Pick colors from the picture or the rug, for pillows. I can see a nice royal blue in there. for accent colors. You may like other accent colors. In my house, it would be turquoise colors. Everyone likes a different color or a different shade of colors. In your living room, it needs a bright color, which is why I suggested royal blue, but, it could be a bright turquoise, or bright greens, or other bright blues, or brighter colors. It all depends on what you and your family like.

• Kendrah
    last month

Do you regularly have this much clutter in this room and what size is your TV and how far away is your TV from your sofa?

I'd consider pushing your sofa and rug towards the TV by, I don't know, maybe 5 or 6 ft. Then in the area between the back of your sofa and the window, put console height book shelves or cabinets where you can park extra belongings. There will still be a dumping ground of sorts next to the door but you won't see if from the rest of the room.

Put a tall plant back in that corner - will add nice green color - and add to the top of the shelves some kind of decor that you can see from a far.

Then hang one large piece of artwork centered on the right wall above where the sofa is now going to be located. Find a piece you love and let the colors of it dictate what other accent colors to use around the room.

The small bay window bump out area will now be free of lots of clutter. Either put a nice reading chair, light, and ottoman for some grown up relaxation. Or if that is not realistic for your life style, but more storage for toys there so kids can learn to clean up and put things away.

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    last month

Well recently the clutter has increased 10 fold because of 2 under 2. The TV is 65 inches and is considerably far from the window/door area. I kept this distance because it left rest of space open. I will demo your suggestion about moving sofa up and see how it looks

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Agree with Kendrah’s great suggestions. The open space for little ones is understandable but it’s a nice compromise to create a space for adult relaxation too. Dividing space & having an open floor area behind sofa for playing & a place to stash some of the toys is great. This room looks very large so seems like there’s a way to make it kid friendly but also make it a nice space for adults to relax. It looks like that might be a navy blue chair stashed in alcove on left in pics - the white car is in front of it. Maybe the chair could be moved over to have front feet on rug facing the long wall opposite. It would create a walkway behind it from the entry. Might be a nice place to sit & read to kiddies.

ETA - looks like that chair space / alcove has some of the picture frame molding you want for the long wall

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    last month

Another angle

• ffpalms
    last month

I’d focus on wall color, drapes and art to get some color in the room.

• jck910
    last month

Sorry to say but before you get to paint colors, you need to find a better storage solution for the coats,etc.and toys. You have a lovely home and right now it needs storage. I get it that you are busy with 2 babies, so maybe wait a couple of months for things to settle down and you can concentrate and make better choices. I see where there is picture molding on a wall. You didn't show that wall or mention that it was already in part of the room so you "no molding" responses because we didn't have enough info. Good Luck

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    last month

We just add that moulding in the hallway yesterday

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    last month

Just added that moulding yesterday

• elcieg
    last month

Add simple linen draperies on the window.

Replace the pot light over your sectional with a chandelier.

I like green for the room. And as for your new molding, just paint right over it in the wall paint. It will give dimension to a flat wall.

• Kendrah
    last month

Aha. Your home looks new-ish and picture molding seemed a random and out of place suggestion. But seeing that you are adding it in the hallway does make more sense then to add it in this room too. But to make sense of you, you'll need to add it to all the walls. You can't just have it on one wall in a room. And you will still want to hang something on that wall unless you are going for a really stark aesthetic.

I'd take a beat and think about the layout and storage needs of this space before you do anything else.

The recommended viewing distance from at TV is 6.5 ft. How much space is between your TV and your back sofa seats?