Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Trend #57ish, the QUARTERED ROSE BLOOM FORM....what's next?

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
last month
last modified: last month

I grew up nurtured on the beauty of the exhibition state of the hybrid tea rose, as being the pinnacle of rose perfection. Rose breeders, exhibitors, rosarians, down to the occasional home garden with only a Peace rose out front to show that they had class, all were indoctrinated with the ideal rose being a bush sporting the standard, exhibition form hybrid tea flower.

Then, something happened, David Austin came along and started introducing 'English,' flower formed shrub roses, with beautiful quartered flowers, most quite fragrant, in colors that OGRs did not come in, and repeat blooming habits that put the old time roses to shame.

I got on the band wagon, to some degree, but to this day when I see a perfectly formed Austin bloom next to a perfectly formed to exhibition standard hybrid tea bloom, I like and enjoy the Austin, but am spellbound by the hybrid tea. I guess old habits die hard.

Should I wait for the next wave of new rose bloom perfection, perhaps single blooms, or even petal-less roses grown for their extreme stamen development, or yet still cactus petaled rose blooms? Do I have enough time left in my God ordained length of life to see it with flesh and blood eyes?

Moses

Comments (26)

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    Original Author
    last month

Kristine, you not only made my day, but my week, with your uplifting comment! I'll do the heavy lifting while you just say, "Put it over there, Moses." Thanks, a trillion!

Moses

• rosecanadian
    last month

Awwww...you guys!!! This is what this forum is about. :) :) :)

• johntweimer
    last month

Enjoyed your comment Moses. It does make me scratch my chin and wonder what style bloom will next take the garden world by storm. I find myself being drawn more to the single roses and those with a looser petal form lately. Also roses grown with beautiful ferny foliage. Perhaps that blue green hue of the albas! Take care. John

• susan9santabarbara
    last month

Moses, I always chuckle when I see the mania for Austin-style roses. I like them (and OGRs) just fine, but I guess I'm more of a modern rose savage. It's similar to the current fad (particularly in florist/wedding roses) for weird colored roses. I've always liked weird colored roses, but now it's kind of out of control. Last week, I got a notice from one of the many places I subscribe to with a pic of Crystalline, a classic exhibitor fave, that made it look like an Austin. Made me laugh.

• seasiderooftop
    last month

Over here in Europe, the emerging trend is for "bee-friendly" gardens, and the roses that are marketed as such. This means fewer petals, maybe not single but with less petals than the previous extremely double style, and an open form with visible, plentiful stamens easily accessible to pollinators.

Obviously, bee-friendly also means highly resistant, which reflects another trend: nobody wants to have to spray anymore.

A third trend here is directly correlated with ever-increasing urbanization in Europe : people are living in apartments or houses with smaller gardens, so smaller sized roses are trending as well.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

@seasiderooftop, I like the second trend . Being a bee lover, I love to see them and other pollinators enjoy the blooms as I do. I used to like only the full petaled roses but have come to appreciate the semi-doubles a lot: blue for you(still struggling to find one), easy on the eyes…

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last month

Forever, are you on the wait list at Heirloom ?

last month

I honesly love all types except blooms that are neither full or single petal. I am really starting to appreciate single petal roses even though I dont have any

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last month

Here's a single rose for you guys..

Its only about 7 inches!! It looks really ratty because we had strong winds and heavy rain for a whole day right after it opened. I thought for sure it would drop but Nooo

today is the 5th day and its still mostly holding on! Fighting Temeraire by David Austin.

• desertsilver
    last month

I appreciate the OGR's, but my heart belongs to my grandma's roses- garden style H.Teas. She had a big, formal rose garden on her farm. Her roses were H. Tea shape, but always opened fully, with beautiful stamens. A new rose that reminds me of hers is Ping Lim's True friendship.

In my desert zone 9b, it blooms in large flushes, as gorgeous, healthy -spring green- and shining foliage, scent is rich and fruity, and it is always full of bees.

I think we are pretty lucky, that although prices are sky high, we can easily grow so many different kinds and styles of roses right now.

It makes me sad that many of my favorite mini roses are becoming very hard to find.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Kristine, no I never register for notification for Blue For You. Thanks for the suggestion. I just signed up

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    29 days ago

I think one trend lately has been ruffled roses that kind of combine the classic HT form with the soft romatic look of English roses.

I only have two singles - Darlows Enigma and Tottering gently by. I love them and want to find an Easy Beezy Knockout Rose this year. I also have the semidouble Fire Opal coming this spring along with some ruffly Jalberts. I an not a fan of the weird color trends, but to each their own.

• rosecanadian
    29 days ago

Sultry - Seven inches!!! I love the colors. :)

29 days ago

Love your rose Sultry! Those sunrise colors are perfection

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    29 days ago

I prefer the high centered form . But the English style/ ruffled/ quartered forms are starting to grow on me .

Original Author
    29 days ago

You people are all amazing! For example, even in light of the strong evidence that Nate is a crook, see (Anyone get your roses from Garden Roses yet? This post was placed by 'judijunebug,' last month.), the willingness of our members to bend over backwards to hold out hope that he is 'reformed,' and just over his head suffering from mental illness and leaving a trail of criminal acts, speaks to the strong character and Godly hearts you have. That's all I have to say, except, keep up your goodness. It's so much needed in these trying times.

Moses

Original Author
    29 days ago

Sultry, you've got to post a picture of Fighting Temeraire when your bush has an open bloom that didn't get a wet blow dry. I'll bet it's a head turner.

Moses

• mmmm12COzone5
    29 days ago

Very good post. In my previous house I had a rose garden with roses I bought from the hardware store and looked like the ones you get in the flower shop.

When we started the rose bed at this house I did more research and found an astounding variety of bloom forms. I as lucky that High Country Roses is very close and they carry quite a selection. If I hadn't found out about them I would have just repeated buying roses from the hardware store and likely bought all florist looking roses.

For this garden I bought all sorts to give them a try but confess to being smitten with the singles since they looked like tropical flowers to me (which we don't grow outdoor here in CO). As a result, the first round of plants had alot of singles.

Since then I've give up on some of the singles due to their inability to withstand the Japanese Beetles (kind of would like to take more of them out). I really like the miniatures (didn't get any in the first round) since they don't seem to get Japanese Beetles. I also enjoy the traditional HTs and the garden bush forms along with all the exotic bloom types.

But my priorities have changed from my first rose garden. Now I want cane hardy (hate the ones that die back to the ground - causing alot of work in the spring), lots of flowers throughout the season and prefer ones the beetles avoid since we can't be bothered to go and knock them off. Bloom form doesn't matter as much to me as long as I like the color. :-)

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    29 days ago

The only thing I ever liked about hybrid teas were the fragrance of those like Mister Lincoln. It wasn’t until seeing David Austin’s quartered roses that I wanted to grow roses. But lately I’ve started looking at singles and species like Rosa moyesii, Rosa glauca, those with attractive hips and fall color.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    29 days ago

Many years ago, I spent a couple of days in Albany learning how to appreciate hybrid teas. Otherwise known as ARS judges school. Before I went, Lily Shohan told me that people aren't born knowing how to appreciate HT form. It is something they have to be taught. Since then, I've seen a lot of evidence that she was right. Not only it is something that has to be taught, but it can be fairly easily untaught. There may be some people who gravitate to singles from an early age, but most children think the more petals the better. So if there isn't this steady diet of high centered florist roses, most people are going to go for the quartered blooms.

29 days ago

Thank you. I will definitely take photos of

Fighting Temeraire when our weather is more cooperative lol. It has more buds. The blooms are typically in the 5 inch range. Sometimes they are very flouncy and ruffly. I might have it in a bit too much shade. It is right next to Rosette DeLizy and together the colors are just wild without being garish.

I love the singles and semi doubles for the bees and other pollinators. My favorite bloom forms though, are Quartered and deep Cupped!

I agree that ruffled blooms are definitely in right now! They are gorgeous as well. Hard to pick favorites lol.

27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Well, today another bloom opened on Fighting Temeraire. This one may be larger than the last one!! It was windy again today but I was able to snap a pic before it started raining again. Its over 7 inches!

Here's a Rosette deLizy for comparison at almost 4 1/2 inches

• PDXRobertZ8
    27 days ago

Fascinating! I never cared much for roses until I saw the fuller, English style and the OGRs. The HTs were fine, but I always preferred them in other people's gardens. So when I made a bouquet for a friend of mine of Austin's Charles Darwin roses, I was shocked when she told me that, while lovely, she thought it looked like a "mess" of petals and preferred the pointy ones (the HTs). Hahaha!

• John (PNW zone 8)
    27 days ago

I actually remember saying years ago that roses were "tacky" and would never be in my garden. But one night I stumbled across Heirloom Roses' website and saw photos of flowers that didn't look anything like the high-centered blooms from the florist. That was back when Heirloom had an incredible display garden, so I visited and fell in love. Initially I was just drawn to the English roses, but they quickly led me to the the many varied classes of old garden roses. I started exploring all of the classes and finding lots to appreciate in all of them. And curiously, they led me back to where I started. My love of the old tea and hybrid perpetual roses engendered curiosity in the early hybrid teas. The early hybrid teas led me to an obsession with the Pernetianas. And before you know it, I was drooling over the modern hybrid teas, Grandifloras and floribundas that I had written off years ago. I still have a deep interest in the old roses, but roses are so interconnected, and it's fun to see how the genes of old favorites get reimagined in the later (and future) roses.

• rosecanadian
    27 days ago

Sultry - I loooove your Rosette deLizy bloom!!

Robert - a mess of petals, indeed! lol

John - that is interesting how you've come full circle and now realize you love all kinds of roses...that's where I am...I really love the HTs and the OGRs, etc. :)