Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abick2

10 ft or 9 ft ceilings PLEASE help!!!

abick2
9 years ago
We are building a 3500 sq ft house with a two story foyer and somewhat open floor plan. Should we go with 10 or 9 on the 1st floor? Will we even notice the difference? I want kitchen kabinets to go up to the ceiling, so I would do a soffit. Please advise.

Comments (39)

• abick2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Better pic
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 years ago
    I prefer at least ten foot...It gives the illusion of more space and feels completely different. It will add to the cost.
  • PRO
    Closet Experts
    9 years ago
    9' ceiling you can still use standard height doors. 10' ft should have 8' doors. I am 6'4" and I love our 9' ceilings. I always dislike the extra 2 steps on 2 story with 10' ceilings.
  • juudean
    9 years ago
    In my new house I have both. Not crazy about soaring ceilings so we put a 10' 6" in the great room, and 9' in the adjoining kitchen and dining "room." Love the way they help define the space.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    9 years ago
    9 ft
  • Claisabel I
    9 years ago
    10'
    abick2 thanked Claisabel I
  • Skip Gilliam
    9 years ago
    10 with larger doors
    abick2 thanked Skip Gilliam
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Consider using both. The piano room 10', dining will feel more intimate with a lower ceiling. Also a good way to help define the space.

If your upper and lower floor plans align, this is also a way to add interest to the 2nd floor.

I'll comment on the overall height issue in the other thread.
  • MMS
    9 years ago
    10' gives a much better scale to the room IMO, but if you don't want to spend that much extra, I've seen people go with 9' but use the larger doors and openings and it helps create some of the feeling of 10'
  • abick2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ppf how can I use both if I have a second floor above?
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    9 years ago
    The 10' ceilings will always be a classic choice and an sign of a more expensive house.
    ( even though it doesn't add that much extra to the cost )
    You should also use 8 foot door header hetights throughout and make sure that your windows also are placed with higher header heights. You probably want clerestory windows above your regular windows for air circulation and more light and air..............
    abick2 thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • abick2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will go with 8 ft doors if I proceed with 10 ft ceilings. The architect put down 5'10 for most of the windows on the 1st floor.
  • PRO
    Ingalls Custom Contracting
    9 years ago
    If you go with 10' ceilings you can install coffered ceilings on the first floor and they will make a statement and you will then still have a 9' ceiling below the coffered ceiling once it is installed. If you install 9' ceilings and want to install a coffered ceiling you would be back to 8' ceilings once complete. Take a look at our website we have a few pictures of this www.ingallscc.com. If you are concerned about your kitchen height being too tall, you can build to 10' and build a whole room with a lower ceiling in certain areas if you are still in the design phase of your planning.
  • PRO
    Douglas Allen Custom Homes and Remodeling
    9 years ago
    I would do 10' down and 9' up. I would do 54" tall upper kitchen cabinets with a large crown mold and definitely wouldn't do any soffits.
    abick2 thanked Douglas Allen Custom Homes and Remodeling
  • abick2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am not a fan of coffered ceilings although I know it's very popular. I do like the rope light or cove lighting I think it's called. Also I would prefer for the cabinets to meet the ceiling that's why with 10 I would consider a soffit and some sort of soffit above the island with some interesting lighting in it. Haven't gotten that far ahead yet.
  • christywilson
    9 years ago
    110% TEN FOOT!!! They will give the house much more value and they will look and feel the best!! We have nine foot and really wish we had ten.......
    abick2 thanked christywilson
  • lucyellenh
    9 years ago
    Sorry for not addressing the question about the ceilings, but a thought about your piano: consider rotating it 90 degrees so that when open, the sound is directed toward the seating area (the audience) instead of into the corner next to the foyer. Yes, the piano player has her/his back to the room's entrance (though mostly facing the audience), although it also makes it that much more welcoming to the pianist: "Come sit and play."

We recently tweaked the floor plan in new construction to accommodate our antique Bluthner grand piano, putting it into the designated dining room and leaving off a wall to turn a study/3rd bedroom into the dining room.
  • PRO
    LineBox Studio
    9 years ago
    10' But pay attention how that effects the rest of the house (exterior and interiors)
  • MMS
    9 years ago
    What a comprehensive, well thought answer from Charles Ross Homes! I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    A 9' ceiling would require 10' studding cut down, so you wouldn't really be saving on the framing. The same goes for sheetrock, which is standard at 4' wide. Yes, a 9' might save a little, but not all that much, and 10' of sheetrock would be an easier install, I would imagine.
  • PRO
    REORLANDO HOMES
    9 years ago
    Whatever you need to do in order to avoid soffits. They will make a brand new home look dated.
  • ryanmeeuwsen
    9 years ago
    IgjxvXxafu
  • PRO
    Closet Experts
    9 years ago
    Drywall is available 54" wide, so you can have one tape joint on 9' ceilings. You would need to specify that to the drywall contractor.
  • PRO
    Dino TURCHI design
    9 years ago
    10 - you'll never look back!

Don't build a hi
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    9 years ago
    @Nancy Walton, in our market we purchase studs pre-cut for 9 ft wall assemblies (allowing for a single bottom plate and a double top plate), so no, we're not cutting down 10 ft studs to fame a 9 ft wall; studs for a 10 ft wall are indeed more expensive, and there is additional labor cost due to the additional wall sheathing required.

Drywall in our market is available in 48" and 54" widths, so when installed horizontally as per best practice, there is a single horizontal seam in a 9 ft wall, but two seams in a 10 ft wall. The drywallers are handling and finishing more boards for a 10 ft ceiling height, and the cost of labor and materials goes up accordingly.

Assuming the home is a single story, going from 9 ft exterior walls to 10 ft exterior walls adds 11% to the cost of all materials and labor for the wall construction plus the cost of taller windows, doors, and larger trim. If the home is a straight up two-story and the change to a 10 ft ceiling on the 1st floor drives a change from an 8 ft second floor to a 9 ft second floor, add that cost, too.

Anyone considering a change in ceiling height would be well served to have their architect/designer draw the exterior of the home both ways and get a cost estimate from their builder before committing to the change.
  • Sigrid
    9 years ago
    I vote for 9'. The higher the ceiling, the harder it is to change lightbulbs. I have to get my heavy, steel, 6" ladder to change lightbulbs. Washing the windows is an even bigger pain. Forget ever taking your curtains down. Plenty of people find they have big empty spaces that dwarf their artwork. Heat rises. You are going to be heating all that dead space in the winter.

I have high ceilings in my current house and don't see any great advantage. Oh, and the window and curtains in the atrium, where it's double height? Never been washed. The curtain is an attractive old linen color, which would be nice, if I didn't know it had once been white.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    I guess the product has changed with demand then. When I built a house in 1999, framing lumber was only available in 2 ft. increments, and all drywall was 48". I stand corrected, thanks Charles Ross Homes.
  • Leslie Brooks
    9 years ago
    We did 9' in our new build. Upstairs is 8'. I'm very pleased with the look. You can have standard doors and windows. Remember that going with taller windows with 10' ceilings would also necessitate longer drapery which gets expensive.
  • Margaret
    9 years ago
    As other posters have noted, ceiling height is part of the rooms proportions and may have a significant impact on how it feels. A very large room with a low 8' ceiling will feel a bit oppressive - this is why so many offices converted to "open plan" wind up with exposed ceilings - it's the only way to get the height the large expanse needs.

I once rented an apartment with a 12x12 bedroom. It felt really spacious because it had 12' ceilings. Living in it I would have preferred a bigger room, so consider whether you money is better spent in wall height or floor space. If you are footprint but not height constrained higher ceilings will make your rooms feel bigger.
    abick2 thanked Margaret
  • mrgerardmartin
    9 years ago
    If you go for 9 ft., would french patio doors of 8 ft. be too much?
  • Jamie-Shawn Dehner
    9 years ago
    Actually, you can obtain pre-cut 9' studs just about everywhere!
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    The higher the ceilings, the greater the air volume you will pay to heat.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I would do both. You could do 9ft in kitchen and 10 foot or more in the living room. It just depends on the feel and look you are going for. Like earlier post have said taller ceilings give the illusion of a bigger space. Good luck!
    abick2 thanked User
  • info12628
    8 years ago
    L
  • William King
    7 years ago

No soffit! No, no, no! Bring wall cabinets to the ceiling height or just below. (I believe that to-ceiling height is more timeless but that's a matter of personal taste). Use uppermost cabinets for storage of esoteric items such as soup tureens, holiday-themed dishes, fine china storage, etc. The uppermost cabinets could have glass inserts if you're a collector and want to show off the items inside but filled door panels will have much more utility.

• Jenny
    7 years ago

We have 10' ceilings in our living room with standard height (7') doors. The builder added a thick trim moulding to the top of the door frames, which helps them look taller. I agree that the doors would look puny without the added height from the moulding, but with this accommodation, it's not necessary to switch to 8' doors (though they would certainly look nice!).

• mikerear
    7 years ago
    9 foot ceilings with 8 foot doors and window headers at 8 feet. I feel like 10 ft ceilings are out of scale for average height people.
  • PRO
    GTG Builders
    7 years ago
    Charles Ross did a nice job explaining some differences. Someone mentioned that the cost differences between 9' and 10' are minimal, I would call that a very inaccurate statement. The costs are distribute widely amongst many many items so they aren't noticed but can be sizeable. Since your second floor would/should be 9' if first is 10', increase in volume is fairly significant. Lastly, I think a 3500sq ft. house may be tight for 10'. good luck