Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howelbama

Slug war is on!

howelbama
11 years ago

I have declared war on the slugs in my yard/garden!

I don't have many pest problems, bug slugs absolutely love my garden and I've decided to finally do something about it.

Got some sluggo and made a perimeter around my beds and around the plants they have been munching on.

Any one else used sluggo? If so, how well did outwork out? How often did/do you treat?

Comments (16)

• greenthumb_5
    11 years ago

here is an easier way dont waste money on sluggo just get your self some copper strips and a bowl filled with beer and just lie back. Remember to not drink the beer from the bowl but you can use salt. XD

• hobbiest
    11 years ago

Slugs and beer go hand in hand. It is almost like a free beer fest where only alcoholics show up! LOL! It works. I have had a few problems with slugs but when laying out a few traps, my problems went away after SEVERAL dozen showed up in a small area. I was shocked at the number that were around to cause me problems.

• stuffradio
    11 years ago

Planted 12 Cabbage, Cauliflower and Broccoli today. I went outside about 4 hours later to look, and there was a swarm of slugs! Luckily I had sluggo around the plants, so they were mostly going after that for now. I picked 100 slugs. Could have picked more, but it's too late tonight for doing that.

I also put some wire mesh around some of the seedlings to help protect against birds. The slugs could find a way to get through some of the meshes, but they probably had eaten sluggo before going through.

• rayinpenn
    11 years ago

I put sluggo down and it looked like slug armegedon out there. Dead slugs everywhere. The problem is the rain washes it away.

But it absolutely works.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

I used the Ortho Ecosense version of Sluggo, it is the exact same thing (iron Phosphate) just cheaper.
    Worked well, haven't had any problem with slugs since.
    Have to keep applying it every couple days though because it degrades pretty fast.

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

I also used the ortho snail bait, and it does work. A freind recommended That's It, but I wouldn't use it around vegetables because it is a poison (metaldehyde). Don't get decollate snails, which are predatory, and will eat little slugs. They will eat your sprouts, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snails and slugs

• howelbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lg, I think you used a different ortho snail bait... the ecosense one is iron phosphate just like sluggo

• natal
    11 years ago

Started using Escar-Go! many years ago. Got tired of the stinky, messy beer traps. Haven't really had a slug problem for a number of years now. Not sure what changed, but I'm not complaining.

• Karly30
    11 years ago

I use sluggo plus, because I also have a ton of earwigs. Works great, wish it was cheaper!

• veggiecanner
    11 years ago

weighed down wet news paper will attract the slugs. Go out in the morning and wad up the paper and toss it.
    Put bowls of corn meal and crystalized chemical fertilizer out. The corn meal attracts the slug and the fertilizer burns them and kills them (drys them up).

• hobbiest
    11 years ago

"weighed down wet news paper will attract the slugs. Go out in the morning and wad up the paper and toss it.
    Put bowls of corn meal and crystalized chemical fertilizer out. The corn meal attracts the slug and the fertilizer burns them and kills them (drys them up)."

I wonder if that same method and some regular salt wouldn`t work just as well?

• howelbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did manage to get a few slugs, however I think my actual problem may be caterpillars. I have been searching for them everyday and found about five today. They are mostly on my lettuce,though my eggplants have some damage as well. A few little green ones and one or two black ones, maybe 1cm or so in length. Squish and no more. Though I think there have to be more as there is a good amount of damage to some of the leaves. Where do they hide? And how much damage does one of those little guys do?

• danielmc
    11 years ago

Diatomacous earth can be found with pool supplies at the big box stores. It is a organic approach. Diatomes are small creatures that lives and died in the oceans piling up like a peat bog along came people and we dig up the exoskeletons which microscopically are like razor blades soft bodied snails, slugs, or aphids are torn apart as they crawl through the stuff. It does wash into the soil which decreases its ability to work as well but does offer some benefit even there...

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Yes, make sure you use the "iron phosphate" products like Sluggo. They are safe to humans and pets/animals. Some of the other types are toxic.

I've used a Sluggo competitor. Works good.

• greginnd
    11 years ago

I decided not to mulch my garden this year with grass clippings or other mulch and instead go over it with a hoe for 5 minutes every day. Slugs used to eat EVERYTHING in my garden and all my plants looked like lace before. This year not a single slug bite. The top of the ground stays drier. I think the slugs don't like that so much.

• socks
    11 years ago

I use Sluggo regularly, but I was thinking it didn't work too well because the hosta still has holes in the leaves. However, I don't see slugs when I look around, and beer didn't attract one slug. I wonder if it's the earwigs. Do they eat holes in leaves, like hosta?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!