Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbrookefreeman7

help transplanting and 1 yr. Lady Banks from ground to pot.

kbrookefreeman7
9 years ago

my lady banks rose is about 1 year old and has suffered from a little black spot fungus this summer. I have treated it with fungicide pulled off any sick leaves and trashed them but even with a little new growth showing, I feel more comfortable putting it in a container, As my potted roses Seem
To be happier( with years of gardening knowledge, I do however consider myself a beginner with roses Still.)

Can I transplant my Young Lady Banks rose from the ground into a 22 inch whiskey barrel I purchased from the garden center?
HOW and WHEN should I do this ??(this fall would be nice)

**I can provide a photo if needed

Comments (19)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

At one year old, your Lady Banks rose is a young baby. It is teething. It is growing roots and planning its campaign to take over the world. If it was mine I would just make sure it is getting enough sun and water, and leave it alone. I would NOT ever try to grow any Lady Banks rose in a pot for longer than about a week. It will NOT do better in a pot, although I agree that that may be a good strategy for other roses.

Lady Banks roses want to get HUGE in zone 9 climates, and I do not think you can successfully keep them small enough to survive in a pot or barrel.

Here is a pic of my yellow one - this is one plant. It was cut down to 7 feet once so we could paint the house. It grew back to the roof of this 3 story building within 2 seasons.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have to agree with Jackie. A Lady Banks is never going to be happy in a container. Digging it up and putting it in one will only set it back further. Leave it alone to grow and it will probably shake off the tendency to spot as it matures.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The advice you have here is spot-on. You cannot grow any of the banksiaes in a container for more than a short time.

This is a massive rose, if it is allowed to reach its full potential. In order to be healthy and productive, it has to FIRST grow a substantial foundation of roots. In the ground, as it is presently, it has only begun to do that.

If you dig it up and put it in a small pot like that, you might as well just take it over to your garden-waste can, and pitch it in.

Jackie's picture gives you an idea of its size. Below, see another.

You can prune it to keep it smaller, and I'm sure you have seen that done. But not in a container.

Jeri

• emrogers
    9 years ago

Hmm, I recently transplanted my LB's which I've had for about 1 year and half and it's still small and obviously doing nothing. I seriously thought about tossing it because it honestly looks pathetic but since the DH has built me a new arbor at the front of my walk way I decided to move it so it could eventually grow on it for support. It's hot here in Dallas, TX and I transplanted it in the evening. I know not any better. I have seen some new growth on it but some of the other leaves looks kind of sad. I'll let it be and I've been closely watering it and watching it. Should I do any pruning? to help it some? Or let it be and just pray? HA! I'm thinking I should feed it something as well to kind of help it but I'm so new at gardening that I'm not sure if that'll help or make it worse since it's so young and kind of in transplant shock right now. Any advice is appreciated. Once I get home this evening I will post a pic if need be.
    Elce

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Elce - your lady banks is a little baby. It is now trying to recuperate from being transplanted. It is growing roots, lots and lots of roots. It is not "doing nothing". It's just that you cannot see all of the root activity under the ground. If it was mine I would make sure it has sun and water. I would NOT try to prune it now, and I would not feed it for 2-3months. For heavens sake don't spray it with anything, either. Banksias are very old Chinese hybrids - practically species roses.

Just leave it alone to get established. Since as you say you are new at gardening, you may not have heard the old saying about climbing roses:

First year sleeping (growing roots)

Second year creeping (will send out some short canes)

Third year leaping (stand back)

So glad you have planted this ancient, wonderful roses. Now you just need to let it do its thing. Any pruning, which I would not do at al for several years, needs to be done right after it has stopped blooming in the summer.

Jackie

• emrogers
    9 years ago

Jackie- thank you so much for this information. You're right I have not heard the 'old' saying about climbers. :D I'm so happy you helped me because I SWEAR I thought the thing was dead. :( So I will continue to practice my patience which is what gardening has taught me. I have not fed it nor sprayed it. I'm so new I have no clue about spraying really. Lol. However, I have been keeping it watered since it's so hot here in Dallas right now.
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!
    Elce

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, growing roots is one thing.

DEAD is quite another.

Is it green? Is the top doing a little growing? Does it have leaves? Because it IS possible to kill a young plant -- even of R. banksia lutea.

Jeri

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Jeri - in her post above Elce said it had some new growth, and the old leaves just looked "sad", so I think it is alive and will recover.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I think you could feed it something. Organics are always good. As for spraying get some Bayer Rose and Shrub Disease Control and follow the directions.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes, I noticed this afterward, Jackie.

Look, I went through something like this with a yellow banksia. My R. banksia lutea was a gift from an older lady who was moving from her home of many decades.

Her banksia had been a gift from an older lady, long before, and she wanted to take it with her, so they dug the thing out of the ground. She gave us half of it. When they gave it to us, it was an enormous STUMP with truncated roots, bundled into a trash bag.

We planted it with some misgivings, and it sat there as a stump with a few green leaves for almost three years. It was alive, so we kept watering it, and waited.

When it had grown enough roots, it took off like a rocket ship, jumped a 7-ft fence, leaped into a nearby tree, roared up to the top of the tree, and began to wave its spring bloom around, 6 ft. above the tree.

We just had to be patient. The rose knew what it was doing. But I don't think it's going to need spraying. I think it's pretty disease-free, everywhere I've seen it in TX.

• emrogers
    9 years ago

Jeri, you cracked me UP!!!!! Ha!!!! You're right though. I actually was watering it now as I'm checking the GW forums and ran outside to take a pic for you guys. As you can see some of the top part looks dead but there are some green leaves that merged and you can see those in the pic. I'm praying this will survive and eventually grow as big as you guys say.

I'm grateful to you and Jackie for the advice as I nurse it back to health.
    Elce

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Elce -- It's gonna make it. And if it doesn't, Texas is full of monstrous old plants of it -- so you can always have another.

I remember particularly a monster of a plant that we passed in full bloom, just south of Dripping Springs, TX. I wish I had photos, because it was a wow.

• emrogers
    8 years ago
    Well ladies, I'm sitting here going through GF because I have planting fever and want to and need to decide on awake way plant design and came across my old post of my little LB's. This was 2 years ago almost and well this she she's a beautiful young lady and she showed out this year!!! I'm going back laughing and thinking that I almost tossed her!!
  • nikthegreek
    8 years ago

That's beautiful but I'm afraid that trellis will be too small for her soon enough..

• emrogers
    8 years ago
    @nikthegreek the trellis goes up and over so that helps some but yes I've had the same thoughts, eventually it'll out grow it
  • Mary O'Donnell
    2 years ago

I transplanted a very mature gorgeous lady banks last year to have a patio built. We had to cut her way back because she was very very top heavy. I was so scared I'd killed her but had no choice. Put a new tall trellis in her new home. Well she's got plenty of healthy growth this spring.....but no blooms. Do you think she'll bloom again next year? Do they ever transplanted and stop blooming?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

The rose will bloom on those new canes next Spring. She blooms on old wood. Hang in there.

• emrogers
    2 years ago

Hey Mary, this rose is HARD to kill! my original post was several years ago and i was an amateur gardener. ill post a pic of my LBs in its full glory. the comments thay she would tske the trellis has not happened either and shes shaped every 3/4 months throughout the year.