Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Found a snake in my yard, need advice!

Central_Cali369
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have recently gotten rid of my lawn and planted an informal succulent and drought tolerant landscape. As you can immagine, this has created a haven for all types of wildlife; birds, frogs, lizards, and now, snakes! As I was doing some cleaning today, I came across a very interesting scene. As I lifted a small rock, a very bright, neon pink and brown snake darted out from underneath. I was surprised to say the least. At first I thought it was an earthworm (it was the size of a large earthworm). I was curious and lifted the next rock it went under to get another glance at it. The thing was lightning fast and darted away again.

I then searched the internet and found it was/is a coachwhip snake. Living in the San Joaquin Valley, the logical match would be the San Joaquin Coachwhip Snake:

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/m.f.ruddocki.html

But, the coloration was more like this one, which according to this website is not found in the San Joaquin Valley

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/m.f.piceus.html

Either way, I came to the conclusion that there must be a healthy population of these snakes in a drainage basin found not 100 feet from my backyard. The basin always holds water, has a forest of trees growing in it, and has strong populations of frogs, lizards, birds, gophers, squirrels... you name it. According to several sites, these snakes can grow to 8 1/2 feet in length and, although non-poisonous, can be quite agressive. My concern is for my dogs. I have two small dogs who live outdoors. One is quite small, about 2 feet from nose to tail and less than 10 pounds. Could she be potential prey for an adult coachwhip snake?

Here are pictures of my two dogs:

This is Max. I'm not too worried about him, He is the larger of the two.

{{gwi:548420}}

And this is who I'm more concerned about, Penny.

{{gwi:548421}}

{{gwi:548422}}

Comments (12)

• wanda
    14 years ago

It's highly unlikely that your dogs would be considered "prey" by a coachwhip. Also since they are not venomous, in the event that they did bite your dog, it would not be a direct problem. However, like any wound, it could become infected.

Other than that, enjoy them and congratulations for providing suitable habitat for nature.

wanda

• deep___roots
    14 years ago

semper anguis in herbis
    always a snake in the grass

yes, it is a good thing, as Wanda says. I doubt the snake will bother you or the dogs, but I bet you will tread carefully for a while, eh?

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the relieving comments. I guess now I have a whole food chain going on in my yard! haha. I like having frogs/toads around becuase they eat slugs and other annoying insects. Now, the snakes will feast on the frogs. This has probably been going on the whole time without me even knowing about it. haha. After reading that coachwhips are good climbers, I worry about the hummingbirds that frequent my yard. I've purposely planted salvias, aloes, callistemon... to attract them. I guess nature will take its course. As for me, I will be more careful now. Especially when picking fruit from my trees, and fruit off of a huge trellis of passiflora edulis. That tangle of a vine is home and shelter for lots of birds.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Wow! That's fantastic. Coachwhips won't bother your dogs, but your dogs might enjoy playing with the coachwhips. I would try to train the dogs to avoid the snakes, just in case a stray rattler moves through.

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

I've never seen an 8 ft coachwhip in Calif. They rarely get that long in other regions. Coachwhips change color somewhat as they mature. It sounds like you found a hatchling. They lay eggs. Some snakes bear live young, but not coachwhips. Some subspecies of coachwhips are popularly known as "red racers." At the moment I'm in AZ and away from my library to check your subspecies. They capture prey with their mouth and by hold it down with a loop of the body, but they're not constrictors. Snakes have recurved teeth to hold prey. A coachwhip is unlikely to capture and hold even the smallest dog, but the snakes can deliver a nasty bite. For you, you'd have to catch it to be bitten. I like your attitude: curious but not overreactive.

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    14 years ago

Wow, that's awesome!

• shipwrek
    14 years ago

I don't believe the coachwhip is a constrictor, so even if there was one who grew to be 8 feet long, I still don't think they would be interested in your dogs.
    It would not be like having an 8 foot python or boa in your yard.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

If you don't want that gopher/mouse/vole eater I'll take it! Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't enjoy the change in climate and location.

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

Coachwhips are not constrictors. They catch prey and hold it down with a flat loop of the body.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    14 years ago

lucky you - i'd love to see one in my garden!

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ccroulet, It seems that they are good hunters. That could explain why I haven't had a single gopher in my yard for over two years. And my yard borders empty fields and so-called winderness - interspersed with fruit fields.

• dicot
    14 years ago

Cajun style ...

Skin, clean and rinse snake well. Cover with whole milk and garlic juice in a plastic mixing bowl, refrigerate overnight. Pat dry, season with paprika, onion powder, cayenne, black pepper, and desired amount of salt. Add white pepper, oregano, and rosemary to 2 cups flour. Heat shortening in a skillet. Lightly flour the snake and fry until golden-brown.

so, so much cartilage, but not bad.