Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Natural way to get rid of grub worms

mboston_gw
16 years ago

I am a butterfly gardener and DH has been great about not using pesticides/insecticides on our yard. However we have several large spots in the lawn that we think are due to grub wsorms. The grass has turned brown and died.

He applied Triazicide yesterday before it rained and accidently got some in a pot with my Rue. Well, today I found that the Eastern Black caterpillars feeding on the rue are dead. I just felt sick to my stomach. Now I am worried about all the Gulf Frits that are on the ground under my vines and such. I brought in all that I could find and luckily there is a small side part of the yard that he didn't treat where I can find food for them. (I was sick yeaterday with a horrible headache or I probably would have thought to bring in my pot at least so they wouldn't have gotten treated but I couldn't even think straight all day long).

Anyway, does anyone know of a more natural organic or non-insecticide way to treat they yard without harming my cats and butterflies?

Comments (7)

• annafl
    16 years ago

Hi mboston.

First of all, try to find out what is causing the brown patches. If you have St. Augustine grass, it could very well be chinch bug (common this time of year), or I guess it could be grubs too. Do your research and try to find out what you need to treat. Chinch bug can be seen if you inundate the area with water. The bugs climb to the tops of the grass (google it).

I have two patches of St. Augustine grass. To prevent chinch bug and grubs, I use Guardian/lawn patrol nematodes. They are a beneficial nematode that attacks the underground pupal stage of certain bugs. Chinch bug, grubs and thrips are some of these bugs. I get mine thru hydro-gardens, but I think other companies sell them as well. It is not a fast fix, like most organic and biological controls, but after a few months, it can be very effective. Call the company and ask to speak to someone about how long it takes, or any questions you may have. A person actually does speak to you there!

I also like my garden bugs and refuse to spray. This has worked very well for me.

Anna

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I will reasearch your ideas and try to find out if there are chinch bugs or grubs. He said he found grubs while weeding in another part of the yard.

In a book by Jerry Baker, I found reference to Bacillus Popilliae seeds (or Milky Spore disease 0, which are applied to lawn where they are eaten by brubs of the Japanese beetle, and others. they become diesased and die.

Has anyone heard of this?

• jennijenjen
    16 years ago

I'm one of many who has lost a very dear cat the day after my husband sprayed weed killer.

This may sound nuts, but if you really wanted a natural method it might be letting chickens or ducks take care of the grubs, but unfortunately in the small, rural yards here those aren't allowed. Just one more reason we're getting out of S. Florida!

Good luck! I hope you can find something.

• annafl
    16 years ago

mboston, there are some nice discussions on grub control in the organic forum. Search grubs in that forum and there will be a number of threads. There is one with 29 posts which covers milky spore and beneficial nematodes. I thought that one was very good. However, I suspect you may be dealing with chinch bugs, which are common this time of year- especially with the heat stress we've been having. Try to do the diagnostic tests.

Anna

• annafl
    16 years ago

mboston, there are some nice discussions on grub control in the organic forum. Search grubs in that forum and there will be a number of threads. There is one with 29 posts which covers milky spore and beneficial nematodes. I thought that one was very good. However, I suspect you may be dealing with chinch bugs, which are common this time of year- especially with the heat stress we've been having. Try to do the diagnostic tests.

Anna

• watermelon7
    15 years ago

Yeah. I have the same problem, too I believe.
    Are there any natural/organic and nontoxic ways to remove grubs from my garden and lawn?