Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Visit to Sebright Gardens in Oregon (very pic heavy!)

flower_frenzy
9 years ago

Thursday was my 16th wedding anniversary, and my husband and I spent part of the day at Sebright Gardens in Salem, OR. It was a beautiful day and we had a very nice time.

Of course, I took plenty of pictures. I hope you enjoy them!

Comments (48)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A fabulous specimen of H. Queen of the Seas

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, May 3, 14 at 1:26

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spinach Patch

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olympic Sunrise

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is H. Touch of Class.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This clump was really humongous! This is H. Climax

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, May 3, 14 at 0:52

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Orange Marmalade was putting on a nice show!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mourning Dove

• User
    9 years ago

Oh YIKES, you sure saw some lovely plants. I hope I get my order from Sebright in about midMay. I talked with Kirk today about adding two fragrant hosta to the order.

It is most impressive what you brought to share with us. I always like the personal photos better than the ones in catalogs and "official" shots. You caught the garden as it would be in early spring and au natural.

When I take a tour of the US by way of hosta gardens, I'll put Sebright on the list ... and Naylor Creek in WA if they have visitors....when we hit the west coast.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I hope you do get to visit them! The garden is so beautiful and the plants they sell there are such excellent quality. I know you'll be happy with your order for sure.

I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures, because here come some more!

This is Paul's Glory in front of a gorgeous hot pink rhododendron.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An impressive specimen of H. War Paint in a gigantic pot.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Awesome, and a very Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!

Um...Really not trying to quibble, or start a ruckus or anything, FF..But, uh...the subject line read 'very pic heavy'...so, uhm.....MORE PICS!!!!!!

Pretty please, with a drench of ammonia on top! : )

These are fantastic pics, and if you have more you'd like to share, I, and others, would LOVE to see them. That Climax almost knocked me off my chair!! Wasn't aware it attains THAT size...I may have to move mine...

THANKS, FlowerFrenzy,
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The seldom seen H. Jim Matthews

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, May 3, 14 at 0:54

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But of course, Don! Your wish is my command.

My favorite of this tour was H. Dawn's Early Light. Such amazing color!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Warwick Comet

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, May 3, 14 at 0:59

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've not seen this one before. It's called 'Zitronenfaller'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A picture of more of Sebright's excellent landscaping.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sea Fire

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

H. Lochness Monster lurking behind a tree!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

H. Aristocrat

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A huge patch of 'Sagae'. With all of the "latest and greatest" hostas out there, this one is still very hard to top.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ghost Spirit

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Center of Attention

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A serene-looking H. Garden Treasure

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

High Tide

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More fantastically gorgeous Hosta beds!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

... And still more!!!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...and even more! Note the huge gunnera on the right-hand side of the picture. This is really impressive in person. My husband is 6' 3" and he barely came up to the bottom row of leaves.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, May 3, 14 at 1:36

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

H. Lime Pie Crust. The color really is that lime green.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Niagara Falls

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've always liked the 'Striptease' family of hostas. This is 'Gypsy Rose'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was impressed by this one because of its beauty and size. I had no idea it could get this large. It was probably 4 feet wide and over 2 feet high! This is 'June Fever'.

Well, that's all folks! Thanks for looking. If you're ever in Oregon, you should put Sebright Gardens on your list of must-see places. Kirk and Thomas are so nice and their place is amazingly beautiful!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I'm drooling. Everyone of those is lush and full. If you have any more pics, feel free to post them!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Flowerfrenzy, I want to thank you for a glimpse into the future! It is amazing to see so many established and mature specimens of hosta. I only have a few but I was impressed with the potential of my Aristocrat. The variegation on a mature one is so pronounced and lovely! This is such beautiful photography! It's photographs such as these that makes one want to rush out and buy those hostas; they are perfection.

This thread, accompanied by my first cup of coffee sure made a terrific start to my Saturday. Thank you so much for sharing a part of your special day with the rest of us.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Jo

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

An absolute treat, your excellent photography and such beauties, every one of them! Just goes to show that nearly any hosta can be gorgeous when lush and healthy like that. I've never been that crazy about Warwick Comet in a pot at the nursery, but that pic may have just changed my mind!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Happy Anniversary! And what a great treat those pictures are. You are very lucky to have such a beautiful place nearby. I LOVE all the pictures, especially the one of Paul's Glory with the Rhodie behind it.

Thanks for posting the beautiful pictures!
    Linda ;)

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Thank you for taking these beautiful pictures and Happy anniversary!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to post pics of the two hostas I bought while I was at Sebright Gardens. This is 'Alligator Shoes'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other one I bought was 'Reptillian'. I guess I went with the reptile theme that day. Lol

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sun, May 4, 14 at 3:28

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Very very nice, thanks for posting all those pics, sure looks like a fabulous place, your two newbies look great.

Oh and happy anniversary!

Denis

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Great choices for your purchases. Thanks for posting the pics of a fabulous garden.

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

As Steve just beat me to the punch, ditto what Steve said. You're gonna love these two hostas.

Don B.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Wow! Great gardens and great pics! Thank you.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Wow, what a hosta wonderland! How did you ever leave the place? That would be like me visiting a Maine Coon cat breeder with 3 litters on the ground. You'd never get me out of that room!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Luckily, Sebright is only about 1.5 hours away from my home in Vancouver, so I knew that I could go back another time. Otherwise, I think I would've had to find a way to stay the night!

Do you raise Maine Coons? I've seen one before. Such pretty cats! I love the long, tufted ears.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Spectacular! Thanks for sharing.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I so do appreciate the time it took you to post these pictures. The pictures are totally awesome! You have done a great job in photographing them.

The ones that stood out for me were Olympic Sunrise, Dawn's Early Light and War Paint---but, heck, who could resist any of them?

Thanks again and Happy Anniversary!

• rosie742001
    9 years ago

I think Sebright Gardens should pay you in Hosta for all those gorgeous pix! If you haven't increased their sales I'll be surprised! I know my want from them list is quite a bit longer! Thank you, FF for those ' fabulous fotos"!!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Happy belated Anniversary and thank you for taking the time to post these photos of the gorgeous hostas!