Another rose to ID

krekspeksfeks
18 years ago

This rose grows as long upright canes.

Image link:

Comments (8)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Fragrance-level? (none, slight, mild, medium, strong, intense?)
    How long do the blooms last on the bush?
    Leaf color? (light, medium, or dark-green?)
    Leaf glossiness? (glossy, semi-glossy, or no-gloss?)
    Single-bloomer or cluster-bloomer?
    Source of the rosebush? (Came with house, WalMart, or a "real" nursery?)
    Approximate age of the rosebush?
    Any other helpful identity-characteristics you can think of besides the ones above?

Having been given none of those helpful ID-clues, just a photo, all we can do is make wild guesses. Here's mine: The rose might be Queen Elizabeth.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• krekspeksfeks
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am real new to roses, so some of the questions I can't answer (about glossiness).

The rose isn't fragrant or barely fragrant.
    The blooms last close to a week or so.
    I would say leaves are medium green.
    Single blooms.
    The rose came with the house. My best bet is that the rosebush was bought locally (either nursery or Walmart, I suspect the choices in roses in this area were quite limited, so this rose could be one of the popular and readily available roses) more than 10 years ago.

At this time the rose doesn't put out many blooms 2-5 at the most. I hasn't been pruned for years, so when I inhereted it, it would leaf out at the tips of the canes, while most of the cane lenght would be quite bare.

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Thank you for providing the descriptive info for your rose.

Here is some of the descriptive info for the grandiflora Queen Elizabeth.

Medium pink [ARS mp] blooms. Introduced in 1954. Vigorous upright growth-habit. Mild fragrance. Average bloom diameter 4". Average petal-count per bloom 38. Large, double, high-centered bloom form.

Both of my two Queen Elizabeth bushes have medium-green (on the dark side of medium) leaves, which I'd say are semi-glossy (not as glossy as Peace's leaves). Their texture feels leathery.

Does that description-info match your rose?

In the source-info you provided, you said your rose "could be one of the popular and readily available roses." Queen Elizabeth is probably *the* most readily-available medium pink modern rose. Absolutely every store in town that sells rosebushes will have Queen Elizabeth bushes in the Spring.

So, all things considered (if your rose matches the description-info above), the odds favor your rose being Queen Elizabeth. Of course, not 100%-certain odds, but it seems to be the most likely identity.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• krekspeksfeks
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much, JohnReb! This rose seems to fit the description. I even found that some people have a hard time getting it to bloom, which seems to be the case with this one. I will try to count the number of petals next time it blooms.:-) Thanks a lot again!:-)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

You're welcome. : )

Here is why I try to help people figure out the true identity of their mystery-roses here. Back in my first year of rose-growing, I had very little money for rose-buying AND very little knowledge about roses. So I bought 12 cheap no-label potted roses from WalMart. In my second year I bought about 15 cheap "bodybag" bare-roots from Home Depot.

Now in my 6th year of rose-growing, I've managed to learn enough to *correctly* identify most of the no-name & mislabeled roses from my 1st & 2nd-year purchases. But alas, five of them remain unindentified. In those cases particularly, the 6-year-long identity quest has been EXTREMELY frustrating. I don't want anybody else to have to go through that experience. So I try to help, by sharing the Rose-Identification knowledge I've learned during my 6-year rose-ID hunts.

And that's why posters of rose-ID requests here really need to include info on their mystery rose's major ID-clues - like the rose's source, bloom-habit (singles or clusters), average petal-count, bloom-lifespan, and "mature" leaf-color & glossiness). Without that info, all we helpers can do is make a "wild guess."

Regards,
    JohnReb

• rosetom
    18 years ago

I agree with everything you've written, JohnReb. I even have several of those Walmart "what are they?" roses myself.

However, I see one flaw in the clue search for this rose: single blooms. While that does happen with QE, it is an exception, not the rule.

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

"Single blooms" is a good point to raise and consider about this mystery-rose, Rosetom. : )

The rose-description I checked for Queen Elizabeth (in the ARS rose-encyclopedia "Modern Roses XI") says that QE "blooms singly and in clusters."

I planted my yard's Queen Elizabeth back in my first year of "serious" rose-growing. Since then, the nearby trees have grown taller and now cut off the sun from that rosebush for about half the day. I think that *might* have something to do with why my 6-years-in-the-ground QE blooms almost entirely singly. When it does produce a cluster there are 3 blooms in it at most.

So, theoretically, if Krekspeksfeks' mystery rose is in partial shade - or had been neglected by the house's departing prior owner - it might be producing mostly singles. And, even leaving the "health" factor aside, the ARS description for QE does say it produces singles and clusters. So, I think QE can't be removed as an ID-candidate in Krekspeksfeks' case because of the "single blooms" factor. Some further input on that factor from Krekspeksfeks would help at this point. : )

And thank you for your input, Rosetom. As I hope you know, I have considerable respect for your insights and opinions.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• rosetom
    18 years ago

Thanks - sounds reasonable. I would say a picture of the bush and/or leaves would be be helpful at this point. You've built a good case, though.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH