Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skd2boys

Smelly Dishwasher Help! Miele brand

skd2boys
15 years ago

My mom has a Miele brand dishwasher and I can't seem to get rid of the bad smell. It is brand new.

We are in the process of building and I think we will be purchasing a Bosch dishwaher, but I'm concerned it will also have a bad smell. Is it something to do with the jet dry? I have read the rave reviews on these two brands but concerned about smell. Thank you for your help if you know how to get rid of it or what causes it.

Comments (11)

• User
    15 years ago

Bosch will have the same "problem" too. It's not really a problem, both manuf. test their DW's before thay leave the factory and the smell comes from the minscule amt. of water that is left in the unit that turns stale by the time the unit actually reaches your house. Smell goes away by running the sani-cycle with a bit of soap. There are also products around that sanitize your DW too.

It has NOTHING to do with Jet Dry.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

q: what kind of smell? petroleum-like? tar-like? That would be the adhesive/insulation/wrapper stuff that 'cooks' as the machine gets hot. It will go away with time.

rotten egg-like? spoiled meat like? mold-like? Could be some food particle left that need to be flushed out. Run the machine with detergent but no dishes on sanitize.

• dlseek
    15 years ago

I find that our LG gets a little funky unless we use the "Cascade Complete" detergent.

Is there a proper loop in the drain hose?

While I am not a professional dishwasher installer, I do recall seeing in the instructions that a part of the drain hose needed to be raised higher than the end of the drain hose, or you would get the dishwasher staaaank.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

I had the same problem and it freaked me out. Read on GW about need to use enzyme detergent. Since using Cascade Complete I have not had a problem.

• skd2boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the great ideas!

antss I will definitely do that.

mary in nc I'm so glad to know about enzyme detergent

dlseek I'll try the cascade complete

Weedmeister I think it smells like old food definitely a bad food smell.

THank you so much!

• User
    15 years ago

dsleek and others- the mieles do not need a high loop or an air gap. They have a one way check valve built in to prevent dirty water from coming back into the unit. One of the reasons they cost more.

Oh, you might also check/clean the filters. Grab the handle on the floor of unit turn anti-clockwise about 1/4 turn and lift out. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Also, with regards to enzymes-containing DW detergents; don't rinse your dishes prior to loading in the DW, just scrape them. The enzymes "feed" on the gunk on your dishes. If the dishes are too "clean," there's nothing on which to feed, and the enzymes can (and apparently will) build up on the walls of the DW, causing a fishy or other foul odor.

We've used both CC and Miele tabs in our Miele Optima. FWIW, the DW smells just a bit fresher after running it when we use the tabs vs. CC powder.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

We have a Miele too, and one more thing you should do, check inside the dishwasher,check the Triple filter system, it should say in your manual how to take it out and give it a good clean, that's my husbands job, he does it every couple of months, there could be something caught in there.I see that antss mentioned this too. We also use the Cascade Complete.

• skd2boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lacombe, thank you for the info. We will check the filter system too.

Thank you to all for the good ideas.

• prototype
    5 years ago

Can you open the dishwasher while it is running (to add the vinegar)?