Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Secretary is done! Pics and another question

reno_fan
15 years ago

Okay, it's gone from a piece that just "had potential" to one of my very favorites.

Once I got the black base coat on, I remembered how much I lovvvvvved black painted furniture, so I decided not to do a green rub through. However, the black was a little drab, so I got some gold enamel out and drybrushed it on the edges to bring the shape out a bit.

I'm thrilled with it, and am so glad I did the black.

I'm also glad everyone helped confirm my "something's not quite right meter" about losing the chicken wire. This piece needed a distressed elegance, and not a rustic element like chicken wire.

I used some rub n buff on the hardware, as they were soooooo dark that they hardly showed up at all once the paint was dry.

Now I just need to find a key for the doors. I really want to hang a cute tassle from the key, but I have no idea where to find one.

Here are the side by side before and afters:

Now, here's my next question. The original piece has a finial on top between the two arched crest-thingies like in this photo:

{{!gwi}}

My finial is broken, but I still have it. I could paint it and glue it back on, but I really like the look without the finial. Can I get away with leaving it off? I'm hoping that the piece can stand to be without it, because I'm not too keen on the thing. I think it's a bit too tall, and a bit funny looking, IMO. I won't even "go there" about what I really think it looks like! LOL!!

Comments (70)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Brillant transformation!! -- although I DID know that it would turn out to be a wonderful project because you have the TOUCH girl! LOL!

Elegant and charming -- tres chic!

Well done indeed!

Jan

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Reno its simply gorgeous! And its done!no pediment. I can relate to getting things done as a stress reliever 2008 was that way for us too and still continues. I also can't move sometimes when I am done!!
    Your efforts are also beautiful as well as stress relieving for you! so its all good.
    May 2009 be better.

• les917
    15 years ago

NIce job!

I would knock off the very top 'exclamation point' part of the finial, and put the rest back on. Then I would take your rub'n'buff and highlight the finial and the two little round scrolly parts on either side on the arching pieces.

Any fabric store that sells tassels will have smaller ones that can be used as key tassels. However, moonkat's offer is wonderful, and I would certainly take advantage of her kindness and talent and have a custom tassel!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

You might check in some antique stores for a key. Often they have boxes of them that you can rummage through.

Great job on the secretary! It sounds as if you've found a perfect stress-reliever -- It's got to be better for you than tranks -- and you have something to show for it at the end!!

Arlene

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind words and suggestions. There's truly NO ONE in my home to whom I can turn for stuff like this!

On the other thread (Sorry about having 2 going simultaneously! I thought one would die off when I started this one.) Punamytsike wasn't feeling the green toile now that the paint is on, but I'm still liking it, though I did have a flash of thinking, "Blue toile would be gorgeous in there", because of all of my blue and white all over the LR.

But for now, I like the green, as it's just a little bit unexpected.

I ended up refinishing the desk portion last night. It was white/yellowed peeling and chipping paint, and I thought it would look better if it were back to the original wood. I like the cubbies green (for now) because they work with the wallpaper, and again, it's just a little bit of something unexpected when the door is down.

I'll have to play around with the finial piece, and may do Les' suggestion of knocking off the cigar-top thing. It's very messily broken off, so re-attaching it will take some doing, if it would indeed look better with part of it on.

(Les, you can't see from the pics, but the scrolly parts are highlighted with gold paint. For some reason the flash makes the gold highlighting completely disappear in the pics.)

Here is the desk area redone:

• cherigw
    15 years ago

Reno--BEAUTIFUL!! And, you did it all "in situ". . . I'd have paint strung from here to there and back again!! Until you get your custom tassle from moonkat99, you might try Tuesday Morning, the fabric shop that's in the Drexel Heritage store on Reno, or the fabric place in Mayfair (50th and May--east side).

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Wow, you did a beautiful job, it looks great!!!

• sc_irish
    15 years ago

Fabulous! Just simply FABULOUS!!!

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Reno,
    Gorgeous job on that secretary!! I love everything about it.

Looking forward to your next project althou, hope that your life settles for you:)

I also have you to thank for taking my bosporus toile fabric into my guest bathroom - it looks great. However, my attempt at a no sew adhesive seam shower curtain DOES NOT!! Hee hee:)

Is that a Thibaut toile in there? If so, I had that wallpaper in my last bathroom & I love love it. You know how people say you get sick of wallpaper....well, 6 years later I would still love to have that wall paper & I drooled over it for a awhile before I got it. It was a big expense for me. Of course, the people who bought the house probably tore it down day 1!!

Smiles:)

• october17
    15 years ago

Hey! That is beautiful. I love black painted furniture too. I have a coffee table I'd love to paint shiny black. Any tips on best technique, paint, brush, etc? I'm a little worried about the expanse of the big flat surface of a coffee table. I've had it for three years now, still chicken!

There was a guy who posted on the garden junk forum who had inherited a huge key collection from his brother. He was asking for project ideas. Maybe for an SASE he'd send you a few small keys??? I'll take a look, see if I can find the thread for you.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I think leaving the green inside is a very nice touch.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Fantastic!!! You did a wonderful job!!

• madeyna
    15 years ago

I think I would leave it off but paint it the same color as the rest of the peice that way in the future it will be a exact match if you or someone else down the line desides to use it.

• User
    15 years ago

Beautiful job, reno---I love the black and gold!

Instead of reattaching the same finial I would be on the lookout for something really unusual---a marble dove, an interesting figurine, a brass orb (the kind that looks like a globe but is made of bands of metal circling with a hollow interior), etc. Until I found something with a **wow** factor worthy of your hard work I would leave it without the finial.

• roguevalley
    15 years ago

Oooh - I agree about the surprise of the green inside. It catches attention, where one may not even notice it if it blends with the rest. Kswl's idea of an unusual treasure in place of the finial is wonderful.

• User
    15 years ago

Stunning, I kinda hope that you have no more reason to do any projects....unless they are happy ones. I bake and you refinish ....life huh? You have a real gift. I just love reading your posts. Thank you, c

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

I think the wallpaper makes that secretary, love the green against the black...and keeping the cubby green ties it all together. I like the suggestion of a tassle, if it's got green in it.
    I was going to say leave off the ornate finial until I read Les's comment about cutting off the top of the finial and only using the lower part. That would work. Or leave it off altogether, looks good just the way it is.

• love-my-lilhome
    15 years ago

When I grow up, I want to have Renofan's eye for the end
    result!
    What a great job and it looks like something in
    a high-end store. You are so talented.

• les917
    15 years ago

I would maybe think about adding a leather piece to the writing part of the desk. Black or a mossy green leather, perhaps with a set of thin gold double lines painted around the edge, would be very traditional and very pretty.

I like the green wallpaper, it gives a lighter, fresher feel to the inside. Honestly, I am not crazy about the green in the desk area - at least in the pix, it feels like a piece that you took from something else and added after the fact. But if you like it, then it is a keeper!

Be sure to drill a small hole in the back of the upper cabinet for your lamp cord. I love the lamp in there, but having the cord out the back would be much prettier, I think.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

at least in the pix, it feels like a piece that you took from something else and added after the fact.

LOL Les! That's exactly why I like it! I'm so uncultured!

Be sure to drill a small hole in the back of the upper cabinet for your lamp cord

Did that this morning. :)

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Reno...........so beautiful. And the black is perfect. I have maybe 4 black pieces myself, and although they attract dust like magnets, they look so good painted black. The toile inside is wonderful too. Keep posting as you get more stuff done. I never tire of your endeavors.

Red

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Reno, I love it. Great job! I'll bet you're just thrilled with it. Was this another CL find?

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

You did a smashing job on this RF, as always. I always look forward to seeing you create your magic, and this piece is just another example of your vision. Lovely!

• peytonroad
    15 years ago

YOu guys and all your talent. Makes me feel sick I can't do any of this.

Nice redo and nice tassel making!

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Beautiful job reno fan!

What is it with that pea green color? years ago I stripped an antique "jelly cupboard" down to it's natural finish, to get rid of the pea green color.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments on my tassels :D & sheesharee, goodness no, no website! This is just one of those labors of love for me.

reno? Let me know if you want me to create a tassel for your lovely secretary so I can put it on my "todo" list. And if you don't want one, for any reason, it's OK, just let me know :)

• pugluvrnj
    15 years ago

With regard to finding a key - I had the same problem a few years ago with a secretary-breakfront. I went to an antiques store, and although they had a large box of antique locks, nothing fit. I had unscrewed the lock from the door and took it with me so I would be able to try out the keys. I then went to a locksmith with that lock and they were able to make up a key. If you do that, just make sure that the locksmith has antique looking blanks. Some locksmiths do; some don't.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pugluvr, good idea on just checking with a locksmith. That would be *much* faster!

Moonkat, I typed a response about your gorgeous tassels, and I could have sworn it posted, but I don't see it above! I guess I never hit submit...

I'd be absolutely honored to have a MoonTassel! I love the style of the purple/orange in your last post, even thought those are probably waaaay too large for what I'm wanting. i think I just like that style, though I'd have to say that the best creations are often those where the artist is given "artistic liberty" to do what they think would work best. In that vein, I'd say do whatever style you think would work. Color preferences would be rust red, gold, and muted green, or any combination thereof. You're a dear! (And not a problem on any timeline....chances are it'll be a while before I even have a key from which to hang anything!) You can send me an email on my page, and let me know if you have a PayPal acct or something. We can get it all worked out. :)

Pamghatten, I too don't understand what happened sometime in the 70's with that pea green color. I've seen *more* furniture desecrated in that color than any other! I like green, but this is not a cute green!

Redbazel, yes I sit here staring at our black baby grand with enough dust on it to replenish a small section of the Sahara. That's a good reason for distressed/dry brushing the black pieces!

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

Reno, your secretary is awesome. I usually just lurk, but you have certainly inspired me. I procrastinate forever for fear of making a mistake, but I need to paint the chairs I brought last fall. You did a great job - the gold really sets off the black and I agree that the green cubbies are a nice surprise.

Moonkat's tassrls are great, too. Looks like I will have to get busy if I am going to be able to participate on this board!

• pugluvrnj
    15 years ago

Oops! In my above post I meant to write that they had a large box of antique keys, not antique locks. Sorry!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

MoonTassels lol! I love it!

OK, I'll dig out my tassel-making box next week, once my office is back together, & see what I have in stock. Those are colors I love as well, so there's a good chance I might have everything I need; will be in touch - YAY I'm excited to do this for you! Don't even think about PayPal - what goes around comes around; as you say, we'll work it out ;-)

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Reno, another fantastic project completed! Love your secretary, it looks wonderful!!

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I followed Les' advice and chopped off the cigar-thing on the finial.

I haven't done the gold yet, but just sort of stuck it up there to see how it looks. I'm not sure. It's almost like it's better without anything, or like posted above, to find something really unique instead.

It gives it such a colonial feel, whereas without, the scroll pieces are the only focus. Hmmmm... Might just have to walk by it for a few days, and see what that "gut feeling" thing tells me.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ack, I missed Moons and Zip's posts!

Moonkat, You're a dear. I'm so honored! Thank you.

Zip, thank you! You know I love seeing your "work" too!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

reno that was exactly what I had meant to convey in my post up top - to put just the 'acorn shaped' part back. Now that I see it, I do like it, but it does change the energy a bit - brings more of the attention up to the top.

Without the additional piece, it looks to me like a dancer's arms, & your eye flows back to the rest of the piece, so I'm thinking I like it better without.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moonkat, I agree. It draws your eye upward a lot. I too like it better without anything, so I'll be tucking it back in to one of the small drawers, just in case I ever want to reconsider!

• les917
    15 years ago

I really think it needs something up there - it looks too empty. If you don't like the urn-shaped piece you have, consider looking for a brass or onyx and brass ball. That would echo the two round pieces at the top of the curves.

I would also think about a smaller planter inside the top part. The planter itself kind of overwhelms everything else in there. I think the amount of greenery is great, just needs a less-imposing pot.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Les, it's not the shape so much, but rather how it changes the feel of the arched pieces that I don't like. I've experimented with a few objects to give myself a better feel for what to be on the lookout for, and everything that goes up there makes the top look "colonial". (Or at least, that's all I can see!) All I can think of somebody's parents basement; "Here dear, take this secretary. No one else wants it...." And in that little goofy "vision", it's always that ugly colonial maple color. Just a weird association, I guess, but anything in the middle just changes how the whole thing looks. (I don't necessarily think it looks empty, just simpler.)

Chances are, unless I come across some stunning thing that just tickles me to have on display (and can be glued on top), I'll leave it blank.

And if the planter is overwhelming, it'll have to do. Again in keeping with my "finished is often better than perfect" mantra that I'm trying to live by, if I obsess and replace/tweak everything, I'll never truly be able to enjoy something, ya know? It may not be the perfect urn for the space, but I can call it done, and that's worth a whole lot right now. :)

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

It looks fantastic! It's such a 'high' to turn something into a treasure, isn't it!
    Not only does it look pretty, but it's functional. Enjoy it!

Moonkat, I love your tassels, so pretty!

Joann

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

another vote for leaving the thing-y out :-)
    It looks funny up there---like it doesn't belong.

• les917
    15 years ago

Reno, of course you should do with it whatever you like. And I like your idea of finished is better than perfect, so of course the urn should stay.

But I think that with or without that piece on top, it IS a colonial looking piece - the hardware alone gives that feel. However, there is nothing wrong with that, either!

So, enjoy your great work and your stunning new secretary!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

You have done a beautiful job and have with all your home and furnishings. I think you have a real knack for refinishing/repainting furniture. I thank you for sharing all your pictures here, as they are beautiful and inspirational.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Noooooooo! Of course Colonial is a bad thing, LOL!! Not sure why, but that is one of the styles I really, really dislike. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, as when I think of Colonial Secretary, I see this:

{{!gwi}} Flat front and sides, etc.

In fact, if this piece would have had a regular flat front and carved feet, rather than the serpentine drawers and ball and claw feet, I likely wouldn't have bought it. I don't mind the hardware being that ever-so-popular Colonial style, as the rest of the "lines" of the piece can go another direction. ('course someone is likely turning over in their graves for all of the desecration and bastardization of style that I carry out!)

These were two of my inspiration photos before I started working on it. The painted secretary was my true inspiration, but I realized I could NOT pull off that intricacy in painting, and I'm not a fan of decopage, so I abandoned that idea. The Edwardian Secretary is GORGEOUS with the inlaid wood, and I toyed with painting the drawers and flat fron a different color to mimic the style.

Of course I ended up just doing a combination of several things, but I still don't think "Colonial" when I look at my piece, unless, of course I have something in between the scrolls. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: First two secretaries

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

Reno, based on your inspiration photos, I would just leave it as is. But if you do want to put something in there, I would be in a lookout for something that is not symmetrical. :)

• teacats
    15 years ago

I love secretary desks -- but I see your style as more Regency-inspired.

Love the idea of adding a leather inkblotter to the desk. Perhaps a pretty crystal inkwell?

LOVE the lamp too (but I'll be you guessed that! LOL! I do love lamps everywhere! LOL! :)

Jan

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

reno look what I found:

This is an older tassel that I experimented a bit with (ok, actually, every one I make is an experiment lol!) but I love the yarn colors in this one, & I don't think I have any more of this yarn. It needs to be re-worked, but I'm thinking, if you like the colors, I could cut off the mushroom-shaped part at the top of the wooden head, making it more of a simple shape, & cover the wood with yarn. I would probably redo the hanger as well, in a more appropriate color, & it should probably be a bit shorter, & thinner, in order to fit through the key.

Let me know what you think - when I found this I thought of you immediately, but the red might be too 'purpley' for you.

Oh, a little aside - I believe the yarn on this one might be a bit faded, which, in a way, could make it even more appropriate for your 'experienced' secretary, know what I mean? ;-D

BTW, the beadwork is coming off, & the hanger is a little loose; in other words, it needs to be reworked anyway, so if the skirt works for you, it would be perfect to redo it with you in mind :)

• patricianat
    15 years ago

If you like it better without the "uprising," then leave it that way. IT does not have to be true to period as your house has a more collected than true period look and with collected furniture, you will always have chips, cracks, breaks, losses and things that were askew from its original look as it came off the assembly line or the craftsman's table.

• les917
    15 years ago

Hmmm, here is what I got when I did a search for a colonial secretary desk:

However, on another site, it is referred to as Chippendale, if that makes you feel better! LOL

The picture you posted doesn't seem Colonial to me at all. It doesn't have the curves, or the batwing hardware, or the rounded pediment that I think of as colonial. But then, what I know about furniture styles wouldn't fill a thimble!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Those are called broken swan necks from Georgian, Colonial Revival, etc.

• bananafana
    15 years ago

Oh my Reno! That is killer! I thought I liked it green until I saw it black! It's just so good. ...I'm dazzled. ( And I think I like it without the thingamabob better also.) That fabric looks so spectacular with the piece. And I'm really liking the original green on the cubbies. Loving everything you do!

I'm looking forward to the yellow kitchen cabinet repaint. No pressure, no pressure!