Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krissie55

Scrappy quilt as you go question?

krissie55
15 years ago

I am making a quilt using the quilt as you go method and using 2" strips, 7" back, 5" thin batting.

Center the batting on the back and sew strips to the batting/back then sew 2 blocks together along edge of batting. Open the seam and turn fabric toward the block on the front, turn under and stitch.

All stitching is done on the sewing machine.

Each block ends up being framed by the back fabric.

My question is, how strong will the quilt be since the "thread stitching the seam" is the only thing holding blocks together?

I am making the quilt for charity.

This is a good way to use small scraps. You can also use several different widths of strips instead of the 2" width making a really "scrappy" quilt, but beautiful..

Krissie

Comments (9)

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

As long as you are using good thread, your quilts will be fine. And by good thread, I mean any good sewing thread.

• calliope
    15 years ago

Krissie, do you know of a website where it gives illustrations of this technique? I'm interested in learning it. Thanks.

• krissie55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calliope,

No, I do not have instructions other than a quilt shop owner showing me the quilt they were making in a class. Since I was making quilts for charity she showed me the steps. I will try to tell you the best I can.

You can make any size block you desire, however, the back will need to be larger than the batting square.

You can use thin cotton batting or thin polyester batting. I am using Hobbs Thermore Ultra-Thin batting. The class was using Hobbs cotton batting. I believe regular lightweight polyester batting could be used. I already had the Hobbs Thermore batting from previous years.

1. Cut a 7" square for the back

2. Cut a 5" batting

3. Cut strips 2" wide(or use various widths. colors/patterns)

4. Layer:
    back with wrong side up
    place 5" batting in center of back

5. Place a 2" strip diagonally across the batting, centered

6. Place another 2" strip on top of the first 2" strip

7. Stitch both to batting and back using 1/4" seam working from center strip to the right.

8. Open the 2" strips (hand press)

9. Place a 2" strip on top of last strip & sew 1/4" seam

1. Continue on that side then do the other side same way

2. Press

3. Turn block over with back on top

4. Fold back the backing fabric and trim strips even with batting

5. Make another block doing same as above

6. Place blocks back to back

7. Connect 2 blocks together with seam along one side edge of batting. Be sure and place direction desired for a pattern.

8. Press seam open

9. Turn each seam allowance over onto each block, turn under and stitch.

10. Make 2 more blocks and do the same.

11. Sew the 2 pairs of blocks together turning direction you want the stripes to be to make a chevron pattern or other.

12. Do the same as on the first blocks.

13. Continue to make blocks of 4 connected.

14. Keep connecting the group of 4 blocks to the next group of 4 blocks until the quilt is size desired.

That is about as clear as mud!!LOL!!

The one I saw made up was with very large blocks, wider strips, and coordinated colors, beautiful. I am making the scrappy look due to so many small pieces of leftover fabrics. I waste nothing!

So far I have 2 (4 block) blocks. Since the backs are all different prints/colors I will wait to connect further until I place them on a bed and arrange the colors to be more pleasing to the eye. I am trying to make the 2 block sections with a light and a darker fabric in hopes all the lights and all the darks do not land in the same area when finished.

Have fun!

Krissie

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

Sounds like an interesting way to use scraps, batting as well as fabric. Thanks for the pattern and good luck. Jayne

• calliope
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, Krissie for taking the time to give me a detailed explanation of it. I have already started making a strip quilt in the rail fence pattern for my G'daughter for Christmas and am leaving the blocks unsewn for the time being so I can try that method. What you explained is basically how I had it pictured in my mind, but when you start working with blocks you have put a lot of time into, winging it is scary. You help is appreciated.

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

I have been following the directions above for the quilt as you go with the strips. My question is when you sew the four blocks together do you sew them across the row side by side, or two on top and two on bottom. I think it's the two on top two on bottom but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Geri

• krissie55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geri,

You sew two on top and two on the bottom.

However, there are probably different ways to sew them together. This is all new to me, learning as I go.

Krissie

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

Thanks Krissie, that's what I thought--also learning as I go.

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Krissie,
    At first my thought was why would it not be a strong quilt?
    THEN, I read the rest of your posts #18 explained it to me.I'm slow LOL!!
    I'm going to make a few blocks and see how easy they are to pull apart.
    Cute idea for a toddler blankie!!!!
    Rosa