Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Fainting couch bites and progress report

oceanna
16 years ago

If you're faint of heart, skip the next paragraph as I really do mean bites!

I stripped my whole faining couch down naked. In the process I recieved various sharp pokes, one that bled quite a bit, and a few stupid plyers pinches. I'm definitely better than I used to be as I really messed up my hands the first time I tried reupholstery. But I did one really stupid thing; I dropped the f.c. on my right big toe. The nail cracked down the center about half way and then veered off over to the side edge, and the whole thing has turned black. I was limping yesterday and on pain pills. But the part that really worries me is it's PALE black, leading me to think the entire nail might be detaching? Anyone had that happen and can advise? It's far less painful today, but so far I've kept a dog from stepping on it and haven't stubbed it, unlike last night.

The fabric Les suggested came and it's totally wrong -- absolutely my fault for not ordering a sample swatch like an idiot. It looks so bright and pretty in the computer picture, but in person it looks a dark muddy cranberry brown and doesn't do a thing for either the f.c. or the sofa and chair, or the room. Talk about decorating mistakes. MY bad. That one was a costly lesson. I hope I can sell it. Gotta' get my camera fixed first so I can take a more honest picture of it.

The fabric I already had looks FAR better in comparison and really is pretty with the sofa and chair. It may not be photographing well on your computer screens but I like it. So now I have to lay out the pieces and pray I have enough of it.

The JCPenney draperies arrived and are still in their packages. The drapery rod hasn't gotten here yet. They look too dar, too, and too green -- but I'll re-evaluate that after my f.c. is done. At least Penneys is great about taking things back. A big thanks to whoever posted here the other day that the catalog department has swatches; if I take them back I'll bring some fabric bits with me from the sofa and f.c. and pick the really right thing.

Comments (10)

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

OUCH, Oceanna. You poor thing. Sounds like you need some real egg nog for that toe. :o)

I'm sorry the fabric didn't work out. :o( It looked PERFECT on my monitor. Drat. I've had that happen too, and have finally learned to take the time to order a sample swatch. It took me many, many times of disappointment to learn though! So you are a smart cookie to figure it out after one shot!

Hope the drapes work out well, but as you mentioned, Penney's is great about returns. And now that you know they have swatches, you can compare what else is available to really compliment your chosen fabrics if you decide to return the others. I didn't know they had swatches there, but was wondering about the silk panels I saw on another thread on here. Now that I know I might be able to see a swatch, that is very tempting. Merry Christmas to me, maybe?! :o) LOL!

HOpe your toe feels better, and doesn't actually fall off. Hope it decides to hang in there with you! :o) My thumb was smashed in a door as a child, and it did actually fall off. Eeeks. It did eventually grow back. Looks as good as new. LOL! :o)

I'll watch for photos of your fainting couch. I really like your red velvet pieces, so it will be great to see the room coming together for you!!

• bellaflora
    16 years ago

This nail thing has happened to DS couple times. Once his thumb nail was pushed backward and almost detached (hanging by a string of skin) but I just put it back on to cover the nail bed and wrapped it up. Eventually, the new nail came and now you can't even tell it ever happened.

If your toe turned black, now that's another thing. DD got new shoes couple weeks ago and wore it w/o socks. She got some blister on the back of the heel and I thought, 'no biggie'. Gave her a bandage and called it a day. The next morning she was limping and crying and I thought, 'what a drama queen'. When I checked her foot, it was black and HUGE - there was pus coming from the blister!! She even had a fever. Turned out it was staph infection and she had to take antibiotic for it.

Watch that toe!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, TB -- and yes, please pass that eggnog! :D

I hate to ask but I have to... when it fell off was it tender as heck for months? I'm scared. I appreciate your good wishes. I can't believe I did anything so darned stupid. Maybe I need steel toed shoes, and not imitation Crocs to kick around in, eh?

Yes I was pleased as punch to hear that JCP catalogue places in the stores (I hope in mine) have swatches. That would be super cool as their prices are great and their pictures sure do look pretty. My DD bought JCP drapes for her LR and is very pleased with the quality, btw.

The GREAT news, to me anyway, is that I got the f.c. all stripped down. It's not my favorite job. I took it easy today, nursing my wounds, but now need to get it put back together. Also not my favorite job, lol, but sure does give one control over the project, which I do like. It was very pretty in what did cover it and everyone loved it; but it clashed with my "new" sofa and chair, which wouldn't do. I hope I like it in the new stuff. Heck, right now I just hope I have enuf of the new stuff to get the job done.

Thanks for caring. I can't wait to see your powder room done either, not to mention your whole new house! :-)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yikes, your poor DD! Yeah, anything can get infected. I'm generally pretty good about sterilizing and putting antibiotics on wounds -- but I didn't do anything for this except patch (with acrylic) the crack in it so it wouldn't catch on my socks. Your post makes me think maybe I should soak it in something?

Oceanna ~ proving once again that decorating can be a real pain. haha

• les917
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I am so sorry the paisley didn't work - it did look perfect on the monitor, but somehow I feel responsible in part for your problem. Maybe not the toe issue tho. OUCH!

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

Hang in there, oceanna. We're all sending you toe-healing, enough-fabric, curtain-matching vibes!

• gwendolynne
    16 years ago

Ouch! Thought I would pop in on the toe thing - I've had it happen to me, although you'd never know it now. Toenail fell off, one eventually grew back but it was NOT super-sensitive for months or anything like that. The skin underneath was thick and not of the soft, sensitive type. Hope that makes you feel a little bit better about it!

I echo the above comments about watching it carefully though - my nail fell off subsequent to a serious infection that had me feverish, on antibiotics and unable to even hold my foot vertically for days, never mind walk on it. I had dropped an Exacto knife on the toe and thought I had cleaned the wound out well, but obviously bacteria had already gotten in.

Your fabric buying experience made me laugh a little - and is reminding me to always order swatches too - I am too impulsive and I've just been looking at the "perfect" fabric to reupholster a chair I have and was contemplating just buying the total yardage that I need. Now I'll remember to slow down and try it out first :).

• mzdee
    16 years ago

Did you take that toe to the doctor????
    If not, get it looked at. The fainting couch will be there.
    Take care of you.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Get your toe seen about. Toe injuries can lead to a number of not-so-nice diseases, so you definitely need to see a doctor. You can get infections in them, especially because circulation is so poor by the time it gets from the heart to the toes and back again. If you lose the toenail, it's not a big deal. I lost one like that and I got a superthick toenail that is not a fungus, just a thick nail. Very ugly but I have a toenail. I even had it removed hoping to get a better looking one but the last 3 (and I do get more toe injuries than anything as I go barefoot a lot) have come back thicker than the original one. Go figure, even the podiatrist think it weird.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, oh please, please don't apologize! I always take full responsibility for my own behavior. You were right -- on the computer that fabric looked perfect. I searched and searched and couldn't find anything better. You did a terrific job. It was 100% my fault for being in a hurry and not getting a swatch. You were wonderful. It's not your fault that I was an idiot.

Bungalow, thanks for the super vibes!

Gwendolynne, yes thanks. That does make me feel better. I'm scared of catching it on the covers in bed, so sleeping with my socks on, coward that I am. It's still sitting there. An exacto knife? I did that years ago, wearing sandals at work. Darned things always fall point down, don't they? I'm so sorry yours got infected. Ouch. I'm glad you're going to buy a swatch.

Msdee and Patricia, doctor? What's that? ;-) Seriously, I would/will go if it gets worse, but it's getting better, less painful. So that's a good sign. I doubt sincerely a doctor could help at this point. Patricia, okay I'll go jump on my trampoline. Wow, you're brave to volunteer to get yours removed! Not me. Although I was very brave with horses and snow skis when I was younger, I'm a devout coward when it comes to doctors.