Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Would like to know about your best climbers

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
8 years ago

I love climbing roses, even though I'm not the greatest with them sometimes. Pictured are three of mine: Aloha, Dublin Bay, and Zephirine Drouhin.

i would like for others to tell about climbers that you are fond of and that are good growers and healthy. Show pictures if available .

Comments (20)

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

Damn they are gorgeous

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Dang girl those are beautiful. I need to get Aloha and Zephie! Yours always blow my mind. Gorgeous gorgeous. Judy

• Mila Ski (Z5 Chicago)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Beautiful! Is the 3rd picture pink one Aloha?

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

first two, Lillian Gibson, last two, Edmond Proust

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

Lavender Lassie

sorry for the multiple posts, now it will only let me upload one at a time.

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

Tausendonshon

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

Geschwinds Orden

• User
    8 years ago

I love the color and fragrance of Royal Sunset. In 10 years it makes a trunk so needs strong support.

Old and new flower color wonderful together.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! Mila I listed mine in order, top picture is Aloha, middle is Dublin Bay, third one is ZD, it is much bigger than the picture indicates, it's about twice that size. Altorama, you have some gorgeous climbers, love everyone of them. Iris, Royal Sunset is so beautiful, love that color!

• Mila Ski (Z5 Chicago)
    8 years ago

Sara-Ann do you think I can grow ZD in zone 5 Chicago?

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mila, My guess is that you can, but since I don't have any experience in that zone, I wouldn't want to say for sure. Maybe someone who lives in your zone or Chicago area would know for sure. It seems to be totally hardy in my Zone 6b

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

I had her on the south size if my house and she had a little dieback but seemed to get more hardy as she got older. She got big enough that I couldn't take her with me when I moved.

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

Glory of Edzell

Terrible picture of Reine des Violettes

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

William Baffin on the bottom, unknown rambler on the top which is similar to Dorothy Perkins.

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

Seafoam, very hardy, no disease. Can be trained as a pillar rose. Reblooms all summer.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Altorama, you have so many beautiful climbers, I appreciate you sharing them!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

No one has mentioned one of the most beautiful climbers--Eden (also known as Pierre de Ronsard).

Kate

• enchantedrosez5bma
    8 years ago

Kate your 'Eden' is stunning. I bought her own root from Heirloom last year. She survived the winter pretty much unscathed but only had one flower this year. But I've read that she's a bit stingy at first so I'm willing to be patient with her since her flowers are so gorgeous and she has been disease free.

I also have Clair Matin and Compassion. Both are own root from last year. Compassion died back to the ground and seems to be putting all her energy into growing canes this year since she only flowered once so far, but I'm hoping some of the new growth has buds hidden within :). I hope she'll get more cane hardy with age since her flowers are gorgeous and have such a nice scent and she has hardly any thorns so perfect for an entrance arbor. Clair Matin was very winter hardy with little cane damage and is on her second flush while being grown in partial sun so not the best conditions. She is very healthy so far, the flowers are a beautiful soft peachy rose with dark buds, are bumble bee magnets and have a wonderful soft scent. Overall I'm very happy with her.

New this year are Kordes 'Rosanna', 'Golden Gate' and 'Moonlight'. So far 'Rosanna' is growing the best and is now setting buds. 'Moonlight' and 'Golden Gate' don't seem very vigorous and have not flowered but they were both pretty small when I got them so I'm learning patience. These are all own root as well and none are sprayed for disease or insects.

Sharon

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kate, your Eden is gorgeous! Ive always thought that it is such a beautiful rose!