Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttt_fla

Does this piece of art seem terribly dated?

T T
8 years ago

This is a large (54" x 42" with mat and frame) limited edition numbered serigraph print that I've had for 20+ years. I still like it because it's so bold and bright, and because it has so many colors. It's worked in 5 different houses and several different color schemes! I'm working on redecorating my current house, and wondering if it's time to retire the gals. Does this scream 90's to you?

Comments (69)

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    There are different types of glass , uv protection, non glare , ask your framer for the best option for your artwork. Good point Puremichagan, a much larger Matt will certainly update this piece!
  • T T
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hesitate to ask this (gimme a break, I'm 56 years old!), but, could I re-mat with off-white (wall color ivory), and paint the frame? It's a darn nice frame...

• ateabug
    8 years ago
    The parts that seem dated are their hats and makeup and the gold on the framing. But if you like it, like it some more and keep it up!
  • Bev
    8 years ago

You can do that Tami (I'm 60)! I have painted several of the frames in my house. I painted the wooden frames that I purchased for my children's graduation photos black so that they would go with the rest of the grouping. Just clean the frame really well and use acrylic paint so that you do not have to sand or prime the frame first.

I painted the two frames flanking the large family portrait!

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would even indirect light can fade the colors , especially if it is an older form of ink. I'm going to assume this is older . Inks and colors for paints weren't made as fade resistant even the light from bright indoor light can fade them in time. Low glare glass will just make it easier to see with the lights shining on it. The other ladies all have some very good info. I personally wouldn't change it. It is the way it was meant to be. Maybe as Bev suggested paint the frame. It's not dated just because the subject matter isn't current. If all artwork was of current subject matter it would make for some really dull homes and museums.

• drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    I agree that a simple frame and matte will make all the difference! Sure, try painting the frame; you've got nothing to lose!
    What's most important BY FAR is that this is piece of art that is special to you; you really like it and want to keep looking at it every day. That is the key to an interesting and personal space. Way better than some generic, bland, inoffensive artwork!!!
  • drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    And I love that you've made it work it 5 homes!!! Don't you dare abandon these old friends!!!
  • Architectural Notice
    8 years ago

I like it.

It doesn't seem dated to me.

• templeofm
    8 years ago

I love it, it's the frame and matting that look dated to me. Maybe a new frame will give it a fresh look.

• T T
    Original Author
    8 years ago

puremichigan60, it's 468/750, does that make a difference? The colors look as true to me as the day I bought it, and it's been in this spot (NW Florida, northern exposure, with full wall of French doors 15' away) for 6 years. Now that I'm hearing about the dangers about UV exposure, I'm kind of amazed that it hasn't faded.

• PRO
    Nancy the Stager & Redesigner
    8 years ago

This piece is wonderful. Change the mat and the frame as use the colors as a jumping off point for your room.

• jessicatok
    8 years ago
    We regularly frame art in museum glass, which is a low-glare UV-protected coated glass. It's gorgeous, but expensive, and at certain angles, tends to have a greenish tinge, but is well-worth it for consistent viewing at many angles.

I would use a single mat, in cotton rag, acid-free, but a thick single mat. White will look less dated than ivory; match the white to the edges of your print, which "extends" the picture.

If you're absolutely keeping the frame, paint it all black for a gallery look. If you're open to a new frame, I'd enlarge the mat to more classic proportions - between an additional 0.5-1.5" on each side.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

I love the art and agree with the others about replacing the mats.

• stevenlh123
    8 years ago
    Tami, sounds like your print hasn't been subject to direct sunlight. If that's the case that's probably why it has faded little if any. Still, uv glass isn't very expensive and is definitely worth it for any art you want to preserve, like your lovely print. As others have said, non-glare glass can make the print a bit hazy, especially when viewing from an angle. There is, however, another glass called "museum" glass, which is pricey but worth it for special pieces of art. It cuts out reflections almost completely and is crystal clear, like there is no glass at all. It is amazing stuff and worth considering when you reframe your print. You should be able to find it at a quality framing shop.
  • leelee
    8 years ago

I have a huge piece by the same artist. Just recently replaced it after more than 20 years. Tarkay?

• stoufmason
    8 years ago

I think I have the long lost sister!

• jbtanyderi
    8 years ago
    The print's not dated, the framing is. You could keep the wood frame, but simplify the matting. French matting would look good: single or double plain matting (usually white) with a thin single line of the blue and a thin single line of the red (usually about 1/2" apart.
  • jessicatok
    8 years ago
    ... After reading the post more carefully, I take my comments back. Museum glass would cost you a small fortune on that size of print (probably well over $1000). Check with a reputable framer. We found ours by calling the nearest major art museum. They can help you work up an estimate and show you what options you have.
  • Brette Sumner
    8 years ago
    A new frame and mat would make it look current. I LOVE it!
  • User
    8 years ago

The printing number would depend on whether or not he only made that 750 or if he did another group later. Definitely have it professionally framed if you do reframe it. You may also be able to get more info on it by taking it to your local art museum or art college and asking either a professor or curator.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I admit up front I didn't read any of the comments, so apologies if I repeat.

Love the art. Don't care for the frame. Detest the mat. I'd have it reframed in a simple modern frame with a wide plain linen mat.

• T T
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, such wonderful insight from all of you. I appreciate it so much. Not sure if this piece is worth museum glass, as it's sort of controversial in the art world. The artist, Patricia Govensky, was a protege of Tarkay (good eye, leelee!), and actually was required (by lawsuit) to discontinue her style of art shortly after I purchased this print, because she mirrored his style. I kinda have a mixed feeling about that. I think there's always room for improvement on a particular style (music, art, whatever), but that mimicking someone else is just wrong.

• User
    8 years ago

All the great artists learned by copying in art galleries. But then you have to have your own twist to it to call it your own.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

• User
    8 years ago

Meh, blacks too wide.

• T T
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, this piece of furniture is in the same space as the art, and is the only piece that has some black, so might be good to repeat with a black frame. This Theodore Alexander chest is so out of my current style (eclectic/modern), but I still love it, and I think I must keep it, just for that unexpected element. It is burl wood with embossed metal with blue and green highlights.

• Marie Wang
    8 years ago
    Art will never go out of style but frame does so if you like to change the frame that will make a big difference.
  • babophz
    8 years ago

Great piece! All it needs is, indeed, a new mat and a new (black) frame. The colour of the mat should relate to the colours of the art, not to the colour of your wall.

• User
    8 years ago
    Is this an original piece or a print? May not be worth he expense of reframing and rematting if it's an inexpensive print. If it's original and you love it, go for it!
  • User
    8 years ago

Sandy, it's limited edition , didn't you read all the comments? ;);)

• bichonbabe
    8 years ago

Grover nailed it as usual!

• User
    8 years ago

For those who don't know, I was referring to the zombie thread where new posters don't read the comments saying its closed.

• User
    8 years ago
    I did not read it was a limited edition, sorry, my bad. Since it is a print, may not be worth reframing and rematting. If you love it, go ahead, it will probably cost around $500 to get a good custom frame.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Tami, I love your TA chest! Very lovely. The frame Grover posted is more in line of what we are all envisioning; in a Matt finish. You could do the white Matt a bit larger also. Art does not go out of style! If it did Matisse's odalisque paintings may be in the rubbish heap instead of museums!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

New look with new framing & mat

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Grover, could you do it in a bit larger Matt and a thinner frame?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Very nice Beverly.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

I have a very dark serigraph behind low-glare glass and found that some of the lines lost a little bit of definition. To be clear, it is a piece of a beaver pond at sunset...very, very dark with navy blue and blacks sitting next to each other. These boundaries lost some of their crispness.

BUT the low-glare glass allows you to see the picture as a whole...because you aren't trying to figure where to stand so that you can see all 13 variations of "navy/blue/black". Again...it is a very dark piece which is where the loss of crispness is noticeable (ie. nose to the glass eyeing the different blues/blacks).

My other pieces that are in the same colour range as yours = great investment.

• User
    8 years ago

A white mat will not work over the warm colour chest that Tami likes. The cream, or black mat, even the blue would work better, depending on other colours in the room. The white is too stark for the chest.

• User
    8 years ago

I agree with JudyG Designs

• PRO
    Andrea Robinson Interior Design
    8 years ago
    The Tarkay is still stunning, the matting and framing is passé. Take it to a framer used by artists and let them guide you in reframing.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Well goodness, there are dozens of whites to chose from in matts; it's hard to say doing it from here. That's why you need to take it to a framer. This piece may not be the art that should go over that chest. I have seen these same art prints framed in gold but don't like them so much!
  • Maureen
    8 years ago

I would go with an oversized white mat and a narrow metal frame (in a brushed finish). A lighter frame allows for the emphasis on the art and it will feel more delicate above the console. A professional will really help and you'll get a better sense of what it will feel like when you test different options.

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    8 years ago

Your art is stuck in my head now. Saw the perfect pillow last night when the friend I was meeting for dinner called, delayed by the massive traffic jam I was hearing about on the news, and I popped into Home Goods. Clearance, no less. (If you're in Mass., I can tell you where it is, LOL.)

• T T
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! FYI, the art does not go over the chest, the chest is on an adjacent wall. To be honest, though, now I'm leaning towards letting the piece go, more so because of the glare than anything else. If I replace it with a canvas piece with matte varnish, seems like it might be better overall. Regardless, this is an amazing community of people, and I really appreciate you being here to give advice and recommendations!

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Just making do --- what if you kept the frame painted or not -- had art expertly [glued nicely?] onto canvas.... if it's no loss after so much enjoyment, do it yourself. I would try after questioning those who'd know how.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor