Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenfaivre

GE Slate Appliances - anyone out there have them? Thoughts???

Sam F.
5 years ago

Thinking of getting the GE Slate appliances in our new build. Anyone have them and do you like them? Thanks.

Comments (41)

• Andrea Webb
    5 years ago
    I just ordered them for our new build.... we haven't installed yet, so no advice here. I'm just commenting to follow along!
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

There are many conversations here on Houzz that might be helpful regarding slate appliances. Some issues have been about the slate finish scratching, or possible problems with matching finishes if/when an appliance needs to be replaced down the road...if slate is still even an option.

See if these might help...

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/slate-appliances-dsvw-vd~1019245

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/opinions-on-ge-slate-appliances-dsvw-vd~4215606

• HU-137276181
    5 years ago

I actually just got home from seeing my new ge slate installed at my new build. I love the look! Please forgive the lighting I didn't take these pics planning to share. They have stainless handles so should the color be discontinued and I need to replace a piece I could always use stainless. I also love that they dont have that stick on coating so I think it will wear well with kids.

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Do you have to have matching appliances? GE may not make the best appliance in all categories.

• Andrea Webb
    5 years ago
    Slate and black stainless steel are not the same at all. I don't think people have nearly as many issues with the slate as black stainless, and the general opinion seems to be that they are much easier to keep clean. That's what sold me! Plus, if one appliance fails, I think that regular stainless blends well enough with the accents on the slate that you could mix and match. I chose a stainless chimney style hood to go over my slate gas range, and I think it will look great! GE has been making slate for 6 or 7 years....in one of those threads posted above, Sophie insists in 2014 that it's a dying fad, yet here we are in 2019.
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Stainless steel is timeless, but you have to go with what looks good to YOU. Kitchens with darker appliances seem to need some balance in order for the appliances not to look like dark holes. In the two photos here from HU, the faucet, hardware and island top help with that.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree plain old stainless is timeless and allows you to get good quality appliances from any maker and all of them perfect for your style of cooking and they all look fine together. IMO any colored appliance will be out dated soon enough .

• dan1888
    5 years ago

I'm a person who picks appliances based on performance. A finish doesn't come into play until the quality of performance is met. I wouldn't be choosing these GE appliances.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a GE fridge in Slate in the basement - it's fine there, has held up well but this is our extra storage fridge so doesn't get daily use other than DH grabbing water bottles and beer out of it. I like the finish, but I don't know how I'd feel about it in the kitchen -- it's not as versatile as stainless, but it isn't as harsh as black.

• Pj Keller
    5 years ago

I really love the look of champagne brass hardware and faucet with stainless appliance. Anyone use those with slate or have an opinion on how it would look?

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Only GE does slate. Discerning people might do a GE range, but nothing else they make is going to end up at the top of any best in category list.

Skip the slate that ties you to inferior choices because of an exclusive color. That’s the most inconsequential criteria ever to choose appliances that go in a working kitchen.

Focus on function first. Pick appliances that will be the best in the category per your budget. The finishes that are universal between manufacturerscare white, black, and stainless. End up with one of those. Stainless is the most reflective of the surfaces surrounding it, and is the most long term versatile choice.

• HU-137276181
    5 years ago
    Interesting. It seems not many people that have had them for any amount of time wish to share their reviews. To me, bottom line is... solid reviews...you like the color...do you want a matching set?... go with ge slate. Disclaimer- I am apparently "not discerning" so take my advice at your own risk.
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

i think you've done well if you based your decision on features that fit your needs best. If you like the look of slate, then great. When it comes to reliability/function, reviews are all over the map with every single brand...GE, Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, etc. It can make your head spin.

• miatadan roy
    5 years ago

Considering that Haier owns GE appliances now, I will avoid them altogether

• ifoco
    5 years ago

I have 2 GE appliances (before the Haier buy out) A GE Advantium which was the first of it's kind.in 1999 and still working. They have updated and improved the same oven. I also own a GE French door wall oven with racks you can leave in during self cleaning. Yes, when it needs it I use the self clean. I plan on buying them again when we do our remodel. Because I like the looks and their function. If things change between now and when we remodel, I'll reassess.

To tell people not to buy GE because the Chinese now own the company is advice based on what? The Chinese make a lot of garbage but they also make quality stuff. Why would they buy a brand and then cheapen it if it is selling and selling not at the lower end of the market?

Remember their goal is to take over the world:)) you don't do that by taking over companies then making junk. The Japanese used to make absolute junk that they copied from everyone else.

All of a sudden, they made improvements then they made quality stuff you couldn't afford to buy.

I guess I'm telling my age:))

Everyone is buying everyone. No one seems to poo poo Wolf ovens much except the poor people who paid big bucks for their ovens and had the blue enamel chipping and are left out in the cold with little recourse.. And, it's an American company. I wouldn't ever buy a Wolf oven after the stuff people have had to go thru. I will, however, buy GE.

Just a different view point!

Inga

• Ellen Tracy
    5 years ago
    I had a 2014 slate dishwasher I loved, nice and quiet and did a great job on the dishes and was not expensive. I have stainless now in a new place and big whoop, it’s no better than the slate which was much easier to wipe down.
  • sharonax3
    5 years ago

I have all GE gray slate for about a year. Was very tired of wiping down the stainless. I love the appliances and have had no trouble with chipping. i absolutely love them. dishwasher runs very quiet.

• Sam F.
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all of these comments everyone - an interesting discussion on GE! For the record, when I built our first house in 2004, I ended up with all GE appliances in my kitchen (not by design, fully thought I would have a mix of companies) and I loved all of them. (OK - maybe I didn't love how hard it was to clean the cooktop, so I may go another direction there.) We are building again and since I had no issues with my GE stuff before I've gravitated that way again, with the Slate color probably pushing that a bit. I did hate the constant fingerprints on my stainless. I think we will go with Slate so I will let you know how it turns out!

• miatadan roy
    5 years ago

ifoco, The GE range I have was made by Camco, which used to be part of GE, Hotpoint, Moffat, McClary.

Part of the reason I am not happy about Haier owning GE now 5% appliances made in China instead of North America and to me it is better to keep jobs here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-06/ge-appliances-china-owner-preps-for-tariff-hit-in-global-push

see links

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mabe-buys-camco-1.525800

than Mabe Canada went bankrupt

http://applianceadvisor.com/mabe-canada/7700

Also if you look actual Haier products such as their tvs, air conditioners, appliances, they do not do well in most reviews.

Dan

• User
    5 years ago

Haier continues to downgrade Fisher Paykel out of existence and ran off all of the original DCS engineers. GE won’t fare any better in the long term.

• User
    5 years ago

I ordered slate for my new build (not done yet) but then changed my mind when I started going over the pics. I started thinking it had a "greenish" tinge and I am still seeing a lot of stainless steel in models so I switched to stainless. HU-137276181 is your hood stainless?

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Hi looking for updates on the GE Slate - I am considering a 30” gas slide in for my new all white kitchen. My hardware is stainless and my sink is Franke. My fridge space is only 30” so tough for me to find anything for both gas range and “fingerprint resistant” - GE slate seems like the only opinion, to get both - 30” range and 30” slide in w/freezer on bottom - Input anyone? Has it scratched since install? How would it look with an all white kitchen?? (My d/w is paneled). Thank you!!

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

I’m afraid the stainless will drive me crazy w/all the finger prints!! Especially on the fridge!!

• sharonax3
    4 years ago

I have had my Ge grey slate appliances for over 2 years, no dents or scratches. looks brand new and I have a white kitchen with chrome. I think it looks great and all the appliances are still working perfectly.

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Thank you Sharona! Your comment really helps and great to see the photo too. What is your countertop? It looks similar to what we are considering - Silestone Eternal Statuario in suede finish. We are undecided on suede or polished. Looking for something that is white with very subtle veining. Thank you! Kari

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Wow Jennifer your kitchen is gorgeous!! So nice to see the products in place! We will only have a range and fridge but my yours looks so great with the dark hardware too. Our kitchen is all white flare panel with white countertops. We ordered the white appliances but they look terrible so thought stainless but all the fingerprints - ugh! So considering the slate as a happy medium just hope they are not too dark in an all bright white kitchen (stainless hardware). BTW where did you get your floating shelves? They look great! Thank you, Kari

• Andrea Webb
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've been using the GE slate appliances since July, and I love them! I only have the slide-in gas range and the fridge. They are easy to keep clean, but they are not maintenance free. The handles on the fridge are stainless, and do require a wipe down whenever you clean the kitchen. It is much easier than full stainless steel, I imagine! I don't have a great picture of the appliances, but I think fit just fine with white cabinets! I did pair them with stainless accents...the pot filler, the hood, and the microwave are all stainless, and I think it looks nice to have some contrast!

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Andrea, your kitchen is beautiful!! The slate ties in so nicely with your dark hardware and countertops! Thank you for posting. This is all we would have too - the slide in and the refrigerator. We will have white counter tops (Silestone eternal Statuario polished) and stainless sink and hardware. I hope the slate won’t be too dark....I’m so glad to hear it doesn’t scratch as easily as the store rep mentioned...! Our goal is to find something fingerproof resistant thus the slate. We are also limited in fridges - our space is only 30” and we want bottom freezer, so there are limited choices of matching pieces.

• Andrea Webb
    4 years ago

It will look great! I completely forgot to address your question about scratches...I have a three year old who likes to do everything herself (climb the fridge, drag out the stepstool, etc) and a husband who is hard on everything, and so far, no issues with scratches! Our fridge did get pushed back too far when it was installed and it was hitting the corner of the wall if opened too far, and there was one slight mark from that, but fairly unnoticeable. I think they will hold up just fine!

• Sam F.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Andrea - I think you and I have similar copper sinks - I'm loving mine!

Kari - I got our floating shelves from Pacifico Reclaimed on Etsy.

• darbuka
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The only appliances in my kitchen that are stainless, are the microwave, and the Vent A Hood over the Thermador range top. The 42” SZ fridge, and the Bosch DW are paneled. Problem solved.

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Paneled is the way to go, if you can afford it! I can’t....but I did splurge and do a paneled dishwasher so that’s one less appliance to worry about! :-)

• widdy23
    4 years ago

We put GE Profile slate appliances in our last home (which we have now turned into a rental) almost 5 years ago. We haven't had issues with scratching. I will add that I loved them with little kids... my current home has stainless steel and I'm constantly cleaning fingerprints!

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

So great to hear everyone’s comments on the beautiful slate. We had a turn of events financially and ended up keeping our white fridge, so went with a LG stainless gas range - we got the convection with a Zephyr slimline Pisa hood, stainless trim. We are going with Silestone Eternal Statuario countertops. So basically white w/white flat panel cabinets and brushed nickel hardware. I still think the slate appliances look amazing with white! Just couldn’t afford to do both the range and the fridge....thanks everyone for your feedback.

• albmom
    2 years ago

we bought a slate appliance set for our new home 5 yrs ago.. we like the finish,no problem there. But 4 yrs in,the fridge shelled out( repairman said not fixable,due to construction) so it was a pricey appliance for only 4 yrs. The microwave shelled out at 5 yrs so with bated breath we await what the dishwasher has for us. There wasnt any Slate finish fridges around when we had to replace the fridge( Pandemic) so we went with a Samsung which of course isnt a match.

• Jennifer wright
    2 years ago

I have them and they are absolute garbage, they are barely one year old and the plastic is breaking off and the smudge proof is a big joke, even my cleaning lady can’t get the fingerprints off! Appliances were made 10 times better 30 years ago

• Jennifer wright
    2 years ago

Here are the photos of the broken pieces

• Geoffrey Wendler
    2 years ago

That doesnt look slate to me, @Jennifer wright

for folks commenting on stainless having fingerprints. nowadays they are matte stainless that do not have the shiny material that attracts fingerprinte

• HU-220887071
    6 months ago

We purchases a double oven, dishwashwe and microwave oven. Love the color; hate the sloppy materials used for the microwave oven. The handle of the microwave oven is peeling and cannot be replaced unless you replace the entire microwave.