Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humbleandkind

Ideas for how to hang “valance”

humbleandkind
4 years ago

I’ve been searching for a valance (or fabric to have one made) for my son’s room and came across something that we both like . . . but it’s a table runnner. The colors match really well in person, he wanted a simple stripe (if not solid), and I think the size would work (window is 84” wide and valance is 90” wide) but I have no idea how to attach it to the rod. Any ideas? I’m also thinking I’ll need to shorten the width a bit which would be good because it would hide the detail on the end that makes it read more table runner and less valance, I think. It was only $9.99 so even if it’s a big fail, I haven’t lost much. I’ve attached pictures - the colors are pretty off but it shows where it’s going and the rod I’m trying to work with. Thanks!

Comments (35)

• humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First photo didn’t post, so trying again . . .

• curlycook
    4 years ago

Use the rings with clips attached.

humbleandkind thanked curlycook
  • linlac
    4 years ago

Use the extra fabric to make tabs. You can stop there or add buttons or other embellishment. This can all be done with fabric glue if you don’t sew.

humbleandkind thanked linlac
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Curlycook: Thanks for the idea. I’m not sure I’d like the look of all the clips attached and the space created when it hangs, though. I think I’m looking for something that looks more permanent looking, if that makes sense. I probably should have clarified that I was hoping to attach something to the back that I could thread the rod through. A long fabric sleeve seems difficult to attach without it showing through. I was hoping someone who sews might know of something for this application that I could buy online.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Were you going to sew 2 together for your length? If so a seam will detract from the clean line unless you gather the valance.

humbleandkind thanked maddielee
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

maddielee: no, I’d only need the one. The window is 84” in length and the runner is 90” - it’s folded in half in the picture. But I think you described exactly what we’re going for - clean lines, which is why I’m not crazy about using rings or tabs that hang down. But maybe sewing tabs on the back could work? There’s a lining so I could try to careful sew them on the back. Any idea if this would work and how far apart the tabs should be? I’m assuming I’d sew them along the top, correct? Thanks for the inspiration, linlac!

• clt3
    4 years ago

Dritz makes different curtain tapes that could be sewn to the back. I've used the clip ring tape successfully. The tapes are also pre-spaced. Very easy to use.

https://www.dritz.com/product-category/home-decor/home-decor-window/drapery-tapes/

humbleandkind thanked clt3
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

clt3: that rod loop tape looks like a possibility. Would I have to sew it the entire length and, if so, could I do it with bigger stitches by hand? If I use a sewing machine it would show through the front and I don’t sew a straight line! Although maybe a local tailor would do it for me.

• humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Curlycook: I had to look up pelmet box - they are beautiful but above my ability, I’m afraid! Iron on tape would be perfect, as long as it would hold. I guess there’s no harm trying it. The runner is not terribly heavy. Thanks for the idea!

• athomeeileen
    4 years ago

Hand stitch or use a dab of hot glue to put a backwards pleat in the center or 2 pleats close to the ends to get to your desired width. Then use stick on Velcro across the back top.

humbleandkind thanked athomeeileen
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

athomeeileen: you lost me at backwards pleat :) but I did find a store not too far away that carries the iron on tape and stitch tabs so I’ll bring the runner with me and ask them when I go. I really appreciate all the helpful tips!

• cd7733
    4 years ago

Since there's a lining, you could use the clip hangers but clip the lining down an inch or two. That way when you hang the fabric covers the hardware.

This is an example of a pleat but I'm sure lining will have some allowance and give you a clean flat look if you only clip the liner:

https://www.younghouselove.com/pleated-panels-burger-photobombs/

humbleandkind thanked cd7733
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

You could create your own rod pocket out of some inexpensive lining fabric and hand stitch it onto the back of the table runner at the top. It shouldn’t be hard to do. Just need to ensure the rod will go through the pocket. I would hand stitch only because you don’t want the stitches to show through to the front And most table runners have a lining on the back or are thick enough your hand stitches won’t show.

humbleandkind thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Buy wide bias tape seam binding and make your own rod pocket to hang. Cheap and easy

humbleandkind thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

I'd use iron-on velcro the length of the fabric, then use self stick velcro to attach a few small pieces other half of the velcro to the window trim and hang it from there.

You also might be able to simply open up the space between the lining and the outer fabric large enough to slip a rod through and the fabric would just hang from that.

humbleandkind thanked Olychick
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

cd7733, outsideplaying, Cheryl, olychick: Thanks so much for the additional ideas! The Velcro idea would be quick and easy, but I’d prefer to use the rod since it’s already there. I think I’ll try to make a rod pocket using one of the methods recommended, based on what I find at our local store.

• ratherbesewing
    4 years ago

Lots of back tab curtain DIYs online. The tabs could be hand sewn to the lining only so it wouldn't be seen from the front. Hem tape could be used instead of making your own tabs. Can you sew at all?

humbleandkind thanked ratherbesewing
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ratherbesewing: I can, but I only have very basic skills. I mostly make pillows on my machine (a gift many years ago from my grandmother who taught me), and fix buttons/clothes by hand. Hem tape sounds perfect and I think I could handle sewing the tabs to the liner. I’ll look for that first when I go out. I’m still not sure how to shorten the width, though. I’m thinking I’ll need to take ~ 6 off. Maybe I can fold it back and tack it or use the no-sew tape. I’d prefer not to cut it.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Before you go to a lot of trouble check out all the valances made to order on etsy.com.

I just searched for blue stripe, but there are tons of colors and prints.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=blue%20strip%20window%20valance

As far hanging your runner, clips would probably be easiest.

humbleandkind thanked JudyG Designs
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

JudyG: that was my original plan when I bought it (ie, I’ll just fold the top over and sew a straight-ish line!), but once I put it up with the clothes hangers, I realized I’d lose too much length and the stripes wouldn’t be centered. I’m hoping the tabs will be easy and allow the valance to hang nicely.

• ratherbesewing
    4 years ago

Another thought: Bed,Bath and Beyond always has drapes on display vs in the package. Be brave and get under the drape and see how many tabs and their length and width along with the width of the drape. This will give you a good idea of the construction. To shorten the width by 6 inches, fold back each side by 3 inches and hand sew.

humbleandkind thanked ratherbesewing
  • clt3
    4 years ago

It's extremely simple to sew a straight line! If you struggle, draw it on with an erasable pen and sew on the line. Frixion pens work great but you need to test first.

You can also buy similar toweling fabric by the yard - Moda toweling.

humbleandkind thanked clt3
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I have made valances easily using styrofoam sheet. In fact I made seasonal ones by wrapping the sheet with Xmas wrapping paper adding a bow like a giant present.

You can pin the fabric to foam directly or add batting first for a padded look. It makes more of a cornice look rather than a soft fabric valance which I think would be more masculine looking

humbleandkind thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Clt3: thanks so much for the link! I’ve been looking for placemats and napkins and saw a few options there that would work really well. Maybe I’ll try your trick and see if I can finally sew a straight line!

Annie: that’s an interesting option! Does the foam then fit into the window casing? Would the room darkening roller shade that’s there affect how that works? I agree it would be more masculine looking. Thanks for the idea!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

No. I mounted mine outside the window casing off of a plain curtain rod using curtain hooks. I made the returns out of styrofoam too. Attach by using white glue on toothpicks and sticking the toothpicks into the foam to anchor the returns to the face foam.

• humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Annie: interesting idea. That would allow me to just wrap the extra length around the corner, which I’d really like. I can’t quite visualize how it hangs on the rod or wraps around it, but I’ll try a search. Really appreciate the idea!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

use the s shaped curtain hooks. bend the sharp end out so it sticks more firmly into the styrofoam and hang onto the rod. The returns will keep it square to the wall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

The thing is the styrofoam is so lightweight that you don’t need a lot of rigging like you would with wood

• humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Annie: thanks so much for the extra explanation and link. I’m going out today to see what I can find and will report back. Really appreciate all the helpful responses!

• humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I thought I’d post an update and picture, although the results are totally a reflection of my (in)ability and not the helpful and kind advice I received! I had hoped to use the styrofoam like Annie suggested but couldn’t find anything close to the width I needed, so after talking it through at the store I opted for the hem tape and sewed on tabs that I slid the rod through. I was so proud of how it was turning out . . . Until I hung it up. You can see the tabs through the material and while it hangs ok, it‘s not quite as clean lined as I had hoped. The tabs should be easy to remove, however, if I come up with a better solution but for now it looks better than the bare window with a rolled up room darkening roller shade. Thanks again for all the ideas and tips! (Colors look much better in person, by the way!)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Came out nice...

(If I knew, I would've suggested looking at home depot for the styrofoam...it comes in 8' sheets for wall insulation.)

• humbleandkind
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Annie! I may check that out next time I’m there, although I’m not sure how I’d get it home! I think the styrofoam would give me the cleaner look I’m after though.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Home Depot might cut it to the size you want so it will fit in your car. But it looks very nice, as is.

humbleandkind thanked Olychick