Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtpo

How to protect counter/back splash from toaster oven’s heat?

mtpo
3 years ago

Even though my new kitchen will have a built-in oven and microwave/convection/speed oven, I want an unsophisticated countertop toaster oven to make toast or bake a few cookies. I don‘t want to spend a lot for a toaster oven. The reviews I’ve read — for cheap ones up to Breville models warn that the exterior of the toaster oven gets very hot. Hot enough to burn fingers in many cases. I haven’t found a suitable Cool Touch” model — and I’m not even sure they would be cool enough. What do you do to protect the countertop, backsplash and underside of the wall cabinet from the heat?

Silicon mats everywhere? Will that even work? Seems like an unsightly solution. Other ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Architectural Notice
    3 years ago

I have a stainless steel backguard behind my gas range that was purchased and installed for approximately $100. It extends several inches beneath the range.

mtpo thanked Architectural Notice
  • PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    3 years ago

most backspalsh materials should be able to withstand heat. Perhaps a wood or metal base will help raised the toaster oven's heat away from the backsplash.

mtpo thanked Pearl Remodeling
  • Steph H
    3 years ago

We put our toaster on a cutting board when in use and put it back in the cabinet when we’re done with it. We have quartz counters.

mtpo thanked Steph H
  • Linda Dornan
    3 years ago

I have a large air fryer that generates a lot of heat too. I put it on a large thick cutting board when in use and pull it away from the backsplash. Easy!

mtpo thanked Linda Dornan
  • mtpo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw some clear tempered glass cutting boards that withstand heat up to 365 degrees. That should do the job.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    3 years ago

Or

• User
    3 years ago

That won’t work either. A non combustible material top of a combustible one doesn’t make the combustible one into a non combustible. It just transfers the heat. It doesn’t block it. You place that on a counter, and place a crockpot on top of it, you’re just transferring heat to the counter.

• jwvideo
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

>>>"What do you do to protect the countertop, backsplash and underside of the wall cabinet from the heat?""<<

Read the owner's guide/manual and observe the directions for spacing. The exterior casing can get hot enough to burn bare skin but that heat falls off pretty radically with a modicum of spacing. You protect countertop and walls by not removing the feet from the bottom or the stand-offs from the back, (Would it have even occurred to you to do that?)

The manual/user guide will advise keeping several of inches of space between the oven's top and the bottom of the cabinets above it. So don't shoehorn the oven into a tight shelf space and try to run it there. After all, they are called countertop ovens because they are meant to be used on countertops with a bit of space around them.

Now, FWIW regarding glass cutting boards --- I've used a glass cutting board under my toasters and toaster ovens for years. Never singed or discolored formica counterptops nor the wooden countertop that my current countertop oven currently sits on. I use the glass because it is easier to clean than the wood not because I'm fearful of igniting or melting the countertops.

In the interests of science --- and maybe for another appliance-geek merit badge :>) --- I cranked my countetop oven to 450°F for an hour with a temperature probe under the center of the glass board under my largish countertop oven. Temperature rise under the center of the glass was from room temperature to about 100°F. That was the extent of the heat transfer to a combustible (wood) surface. Hardly a combustion risk, eh?

• nhb22
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For 14 years, I had my large toaster oven sitting under my cherry wood cabinets, against my sheet rocked backsplash (never got around to installing a proper backsplash), and right next to the cherry wood oven cabinet. Never had a problem with excessive heat or damage on any surface. Granite was fine, as well. I did not pull it out to use.

Should I be more careful in my new kitchen? I will have a hard marble or quartzite type countertop, a tile backsplash, and painted cabinets.