Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpech

Help with Cape Cod Home Design!

Kathryn
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

**Thank you to all the Houzz posters on our previous post. Recreating a new post as the project details have changed (fewer requirements!)**

Dilemma: How to furnish & design unique living space.

The house is a 1920s horse barn that was renovated in 2017. Made to be open floor plan and previous owner’s vision was to be “Ralph Lauren” (dark wood, deep reds) however this home is also on the ocean. So it feels a bit like we’re mixing styles that are not complementary.

We're struggling to pick furniture, rugs, paint color, accent colors - you name it. Should we rethink the room layouts? How would you furnish and style this space to make it a practical living space with a polished look?

Homeowners/Style: Two adults. Big family - adult children, grandchild, etc. Dining must be able to accommodate 12-14 people. Love Serena & Lily design (see last photo at bottom of post for inspiration pic).

Paint: Walls are Farrow and Ball’s Cream (67). Trim Farrow and Ball Ringwold Ground (208). Wall color can be changed. Kitchen Island paint color: We believe it's Kraftmaid, possibly something with Avocado in the name. Island color cannot be changed.

Requirements/Constraints:

- Wood beams, red accents, and kitchen island cannot be painted.

- Piano needs a home somewhere.

- Dining space for 12-14.

- Kitchen stays as-is.

Budget: $20-$30k

Additional Details:

- Large arch doors in the back room (where round dining table is) are not functional. No concerns about foot traffic going in/out.

- Living area faces East, views of the bay.

All furnitures/rugs can be replaced.

View from living room:

View from the kitchen/living room:

**NOTE: Photo below is from kitchen renovations 3 years ago. Including this only to show beams/red poles that cannot be painted:

Floor plan for reference (please ignore furniture). We are open to all suggestions for how to make the best use of this space.

Finally, BeckySharp provided this photo and we really like the style. Using this as some inspiration:

Comments (38)

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

Very nice Pics.

I think the layout looks okay.

Whats your style?

Modern Rustic would look nice

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Classic to meet your needs and work with the architecture will be great in the space.

Is your layout drawing to scale so that we can work from it? Some of the positions of furnishings that seem to run contrary to the architecture could use adjustment IMO.

• Kathryn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU - Style is more like the last photo in the post - Contemporary coastal?

@Beverly - Yes drawing is to scale! Could you elaborate on your point about positions of the furniture? I want to be sure I understand!

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

Yeah.

Is the last pic your house?

If so, that confirms my comment.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

Kitchen Island paint color: We believe it's Kraftmaid, possibly something with Avocado in the name. Island color cannot be changed.

Can you get a decent picture of the island to determine the color?

- Wood beams, red accents, and kitchen island cannot be painted.

Why can the red poles not be painted?

I will just say that the avocado green island and the reddish-brown (?) poles are rather limiting in terms of getting to that Serena & Lily look they like. The island is workable, the poles less so.

- Piano needs a home somewhere.

Eek, where is the piano now, and where do they expect it to be?

If you want furniture suggestions for the space where the round table is now, can you please note where on your layout that dining space is now? Is it in the little area at the top of your layout diagram showing two chairs, or just below that where the large section is shown? I'm confused. What and where is that little square bumpout area at the top of the layout diagram? Also, what are those dark colored horizontal lines on the wall under the sconces? Shelves? Or something else?

3 years ago

I'll also repost some of what I wrote at the end of the other thread:

I think it would be very helpful if you and they start an ideabook in your account with inspiration pictures they love. Google the designers Diana and I have mentioned and see if anything in those pictures inspires them. If so, add them to the ideabooks.

What specific sectional would you choose for the living area (love the idea of facing the doors for the view!)

Facing the doors was an idea I took from what you/they wrote -- "The living area is where couch / chairs should be as the view out the french doors is a beautiful bay"

Here's one idea for a Serena & Lily sofa:

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2019/01/06/sectional-sofa/

LB has great things to say about the S&L Spruce Street Sectional Sofa,

"This is probably my number one favorite sectional that I have featured numerous times on this blog. It is a wonderful sectional, because it is roomy but still only 35″ deep. It has a lovely pitch and there are dozens of fabrics, choice of leg finishes and nailheads or not."

Also slipcovered or not. Some of the fabrics include performance fabrics, which can be great for families with kids and grandkids. And you can order fabric swatches -- the first one is free, after that they're $2 each. I bet they could get some for free and also do some test sitting at the S&L store in Boston.

Here's one of the links at the S&L website, this one is for right-facing,

https://www.serenaandlily.com/spruce-street-l-sectional-%E2%80%93-right-facing/mSPECNA-RF.html

This is the slipcovered version,

https://www.serenaandlily.com/spruce-street-slipcovered-l-sectional-%E2%80%93-right-facing/mSPSECSLP-RF.html#start=1

And what furniture would you use in the room that currently has the round dining table?

It depends what they want to do there. Do they want to use it as a space to read and watch TV? Sew, play games, put together puzzles, go through stamp collecting albums, play the piano, etc?? And if they want to watch TV, what's the TV situation now -- it's hard for me to tell from the photos. Is it just attached to the wall?

BTW, homeowners love the photo you sent from Serena and Lily’s website!

I just did what came naturally when you wrote that "They love Serena and Lily furniture" lol. It's literally the first/main picture on the S&L website. Here are some other S&L living rooms from their website,

https://www.serenaandlily.com/living-shop-by-room/

This is where they have to start doing homework to get the look they love and want in their own house. Start looking for inspiration pictures of general looks and specific pieces they like. Look at Serena and Lily, the various designers mentioned in the other thread. Start looking at Chairish.

New rugs are fair game.

What do they see for rugs? Persian? Natural fibers like jute or seagrass? Dash & Albert style? I would probably go for jute because it's practical and inexpensive and definitely says on the water : ) .

3 years ago

I'm not familiar with Kraftmaid, and the current website doesn't seem to have any colors with Avocado in the name but they do have Rainfall and Bonsai. Can your friends look at these colors and see? And also take a photo of the island with a decent color representation?

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

Kathryn in pic #11, i think changing the couch would look nice.

Maybe change the color to a white color?

The outside of the house is beautiful.

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally Kraftmaid cabinets are pretty.

I don't have any so i don't know either.

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally so this is a repost?

Or was it reposted on purpose?

I'm confused.

Probably they reposted it because of to many comments on the other one.

• Jillian MacIntosh
    3 years ago

Challenging room - but that is why we're here to solve the problem! +1 to idea of single dining area and also 2 sitting spaces. I think John Robshaw Lanka Fabric might work well to tie in the reds and cream?

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

Jillian MacIntosh that fabric would look good on the couches in picture #11.

Also, if you look closely to picture #11 you can see a TV and some chairs.

Having a couch there would look nice there. And some light would also look good.

Unless the concept is eat breakfast-and-watch-TV.

• Kathryn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU - Reposted bc the project changed thanks to many comments from fellow Houzzers! A lot of details were lost in the comments so I started a fresh post with all details and pictures in the original post. The last picture is from Serena and Lily’s website and is an inspiration pic. All other photos are of the house.

@Becky - Checking on paint color. Will see what we can find. Re: floor plan, the round table is currently where the couch and red square coffee table are. If you look at the picture I posted of the round table, the piano is visible behind the table, pushed up against the wall. The horizontal dark lines are bars - this was the former trophy room so maybe they were shelves or places to hang blankets. Not entirely sure. All of the red are the original barn pipes and feeding stalls. Preference is to keep the original color as is. The little square bumpout is a separate little reading room. There is also an exterior side door in that room as you can see in the last two pics I’m adding here.

3 years ago

so this is a repost?

Or was it reposted on purpose?

I'm confused.

Probably they reposted it because of to many comments on the other one.

If you read the link to the original post, you'll see. Kathryn decided to start a new post rather than continue posting on the original thread. There weren't too many comments, and the 150 post limit is no longer in effect anyway.

I moved some of my last comments from the other post here so they could be part of the continuing conversation.

3 years ago

The horizontal dark lines are bars - this was the former trophy room so maybe they were shelves or places to hang blankets. Not entirely sure. All of the red are the original barn pipes and feeding stalls.

Oh wow : ) . Those are certainly unique features. The more we know, the more we can help!

I do like the idea of adding block prints, like John Robshaw, to move the red around the room. It takes away from the totally "coastal serene" Serena and Lily look but would make the room more cohesive and interject some liveliness and personality into the room.

3 years ago

Is that the piano under the window being treated more or less as a buffet? Do they use the piano regularly?

What are the plans for the reading room? Where do your friends want the TV (and how big is it, and do they want it up on the wall like that?)

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

pic #1/3 is upstairs right?

3 years ago

I do like the idea of adding block prints, like John Robshaw, to move the red around the room. It takes away from the totally "coastal serene" Serena and Lily look but would make the room more cohesive and interject some liveliness and personality into the room.

Another good place to use these prints would be on the tablecloth for the long table. This one includes what looks like a darker red and also a shade similar to the kitchen island,

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/853097432/indian-block-printed-tablecloth-indian

3 years ago

Now that I know about the door to the reading room opposite the unused arched door, I'm beginning to think that the placement of the large TV might be the key to the various layouts, sigh. Where do your friends want the TV? How high up does it have to be? Do they want it in the main open living space or can it be in the reading room? Is it placed where it is now because they watch while cooking?

• mrykbee
    3 years ago

Well Ralph Lauren’s actual seaside home Is archived at architecturaldigest.com. google it bc I can’t seem to get the link in here the right way. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.architecturaldigest.com/gallery/ralph-lauren-jamaica-home-slideshow/amp

• Jillian MacIntosh
    3 years ago

What about starting with this sectional and rug? Neutral and then add in some fun pillows! Anyone have any chair ideas?

https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/pearce-3-piece-sectional-with-wedge/

Niels Handmade Hooked Ivory Area Rug
    https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/dash-and-albert-rugs-niels-handmade-hooked-ivory-area-rug-cbgl1532.html

• Kathryn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally -

"What are the plans for the reading room? Where do your friends want the TV (and how big is it, and do they want it up on the wall like that?)"

The reading room is very, very small so it wouldn't be ideal for watching TV (seated on the couch would be too close to TV).

TV is on a swivel at the moment. Do you think there is a better space for the TV than the living room? Would it work to make the back room (former trophy room) a TV area? We're not attached to keeping the TV where it is.

Love the table cloth you found on Etsy and added it to this ideabook, along with some of the other suggestions you've provided- Not sure if you're able to view it but here is the link: https://www.houzz.com/plans/cape-cod-house-pp~1187338?stepId=saved

@Jillian MacIntosh - Love the sofa and rug. Would you do the sofa in white/cream?

@mrykbee - Thank you for sending that. House is gorgeous but homeowners feel that style is a bit too beachy for their tastes.

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

The living room is not the best area for the TV.

Maybe Dining Room?

3 years ago

TV is on a swivel at the moment. Do you think there is a better space for the TV than the living room? Would it work to make the back room (former trophy room) a TV area? We're not attached to keeping the TV where it is.

It did look to be on a swivel : ) .

As far as location, it really comes down to how and where they like to watch TV. That's what I think they need to decide right now. And then the rest of the furniture placement will follow from that. When I mentioned making that back room area where the round table is a reading room, I was thinking reading/TV. But before learning that there was a door to the little reading room there, I envisioned putting the TV on that wall above a console or sideboard underneath; and that furniture piece would be wider than the TV. Now I wonder about putting it on the opposite wall, though it would have to go in front of the unused arched door, and I guess rather than being mounted on the wall, it would sit on the console/sideboard. They would need to find a piece the right height for them. I was also thinking of, at some point (not right now) built-in banquets with lots of pillows on the window wall, but knowing about the bars foils that : ) . So just some comfortable seating, bt again, not so much that it looks like a furniture showroom lol.

If they do a sofa in cream or white, make sure it's either slipcovered (and get an extra to put on while one is in the wash) or get performance fabric (something like Sunbrella).

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Hi, Kathryn, is the view Pleasant Bay? Gorgeous!

3 years ago

I can see the ideaboard -- looks good!

If they're thinking of a neutral rug, I'd definitely consider something like jute -- much, much cheaper than Dash & Albert wool that looks like jute. The magic of Dash & Albert is the cotton printed rugs. If they're not going that route, they can save their money for other things : ) . I've had good luck with Wayfair, but Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs are also good, and from both of them you can get a jute/seagrass rug with a colored binding, which can be a nice finishing detail.

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/rugs-drapery/rugs/natural-fiber/

3 years ago

Here's Ballard's page for media (aka TV) storage; Ballard has frequent sales so it's always worth waiting for one rather than paying full price.

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/furniture/living-room/media/?

I see Ballard Designs has a store in Natick.

3 years ago

Depending on how much seating they need for the TV area, this style of chair has a small footprint. This one is from Lee Industries, which Crate + Barrel carried several years ago. I have two, with a soft denim blue slipcover. Very very comfortable, and they swivel. I think this is similar,

http://www.leeindustries.com/style_detail/lee/id/1821-01SW/in/1821_01SW_0219#1821_01SW_0313.jpg

Ballard has something similar,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/meghan-swivel-chair/furniture/living-room/chairs/600438?listIndex=14&uniqueId=600438

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Instead of natural fiber rugs, I would suggest quality synthetic sisal indoor/outdoor rugs in an interesting pattern. They can be cut to size and bound, or edged in canvas like natural sisal rugs. Their ability to withstand sand and traffic is amazing.

3 years ago

For the sconces in the former trophy area, shades like this in "Spa" or "Cream" or "Natural" will lighten up the sconces; I'm not sure what size those sconces would need, so you would have to check,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/linen-chandelier-shade/lighting/shades/chandelier-shades/224054?listIndex=1

Love these, esp the red ones, which would work well with the bars,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/limited-edition-anais-pleated-chandelier-shade/lighting/shades/chandelier-shades/533867?listIndex=27&uniqueId=533867

• Jillian MacIntosh
    3 years ago

@beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally You have so many wonderful Ideas! Do you have any dining tables in mind that might work well?

@Kathryn I put a few mood boards together for your friend and the group for any thoughts. I love the idea of moving the main seating area over to where the round table is now.

Items: PB Couch, CB Chairs, Room&Board Ottoman, S&L Pillows, Overstock Rug

Items: Same as above with S&L Ottoman

Items: Miles Talbot Sofa, PB Coffee Table & End Table, OKL: Swivels

Items: @beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally - Ballards Shades, Rug, Console & Chair

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Can anyone come up with a plan that has back to back natural linen sofas....one for the tv area and another for a cozy conversational area? I LOVE the round dining table used as a place where Blue and White Ginger jars, a ship model, etc. could be placed, with fresh flowers, as in the Serena and Lily image that was posted. Instead of Navy, I would try and use the color of the kitchen island as the inspiration. So, instead of red, ivory, and blue...it will be red, ivory and greenish teal? Just a thought. Why not look at Dekowe website for wonderful modern/ethnic looking pillows to pull in the red tones with natural ivory linen. They have gorgeous fabrics!

3 years ago

You have so many wonderful Ideas! Do you have any dining tables in mind that might work well?

Thanks, Jillian: ) . I keep meaning to ask Kathryn to please post a better picture of the main table by the island. I can't really see what it looks like, and if it will work the homeowners' preferred Serena & Lily aesthetic, then it's one less thing to buy : ) . Especially if it's the right size. And there's a lot that can be covered with a tablecloth!

I do think it might be nice to incorporate the chairs to which they're attached, by adding slipcovers.

• mrykbee
    3 years ago

So Ralph Lauren style originally imagined was not beachy enough for the location but Ralph Lauren’s actual beach house is too beachy 🤣🤣🤣

3 years ago

I've tried to post a reply several times, and I'm trying one more time. I know this website is now using automated moderation and certain words like candidates' names are on the taboo list but I'm talking about pillows, for Pete's sake.

Can anyone come up with a plan that has back to back natural linen sofas....one for the tv area and another for a cozy conversational area?

I think this would be a great idea if it could work, but it means reworking the idea of a sectional, and having two sofas perpendicular facing the French doors.

Why not look at Dekowe website for wonderful modern/ethnic looking pillows to pull in the red tones with natural ivory linen. They have gorgeous fabrics!

I wrote on the other thread that Etsy has some lovely offerings from various fabric designers like Penny Morrison, Lisa Fine, Peter Dunham, Peter Fasano, Les Indiennes, Raoul, Michael Smith's Jasper, etc. Some that would work include

Penny Morrison's Killi,

Penny Morrison's Yasmina,

Peter Dunham's Rajmata Tonal in teal,

Lisa Fine's Lahore,

Peter Fasano's Kori (I may be at the limit of pictures per post, I think)

I think that's everything. I hope it goes through this time! If it works I'll see if I can add the photos again.

3 years ago

So Ralph Lauren style originally imagined was not beachy enough for the location but Ralph Lauren’s actual beach house is too beachy

As Kathryn explained above, it was the previous homeowner who had a Ralph Lauren vision for this former horse barn involving dark wood and deep reds. I suspect this was "horsey Ralph Lauren", not to be confused with "beachy Ralph Lauren", "British colonial Ralph Lauren", "Colorado ski chalet Ralph Lauren", and "Hamptons Ralph Lauren", most of which cross-over with each other at some point : ).

According to Kathryn, the current owners seem to find their inspiration from Serena & Lily, especially this photo,

Edited to add: this is why I suggested keeping the conversation about the house/room on one thread, rather than separate ones. It's also why I repeated above some of what I wrote toward the end of the other thread, to try to keep as much info and suggestions as possible together in one place.