Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morning_top

compost delivered in Gwinnett

Morning top
3 years ago

Does anyone know of good supplier for compost delivery. Any recommendations?

Comments (9)

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    3 years ago

I googled "mushroom compost Gwinnett ga" and got results. The first link was $42 per cubic yard. They'll also charge for delivery so you want someone close. I pay about $40 for delivery and usually order 3 or 4 yards.

You could also rent a pickup but that will likely cost about the same as delivery and you'll have to unload it. But that might be a plus if you want it unloaded in various places convenient to you instead of blocking your driveway.

Morning top thanked John D Zn6a PIT Pa
  • debvanatl
    3 years ago

Luxury Landscape off of 316 and Hwy 20 has mushroom compost. We've used them for mulch, compost, and stone.

Morning top thanked debvanatl
  • kokopellifivea
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

To be clear, “mushroom compost “ is straw that has been decomposed using urea fertilizer for the purpose of commercially growing mushrooms, as opposed to a considerably more expensive fungal decomposition?

Not sure I would pay a lot of money for the former. Anyway, they sell spent “mushroom compost” (straw decomposed with urea to grow mushrooms that is now spent for its commercial purpose) by the bag for a reasonable price at Home Depot.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    3 years ago

Mushroom compost is also called mushroom manure. It's manure that was used to grow two crops of mushrooms. The manure may contain straw, but the largest content in the mushroom grower outside of Philadelphia lists cocoa hulls as a major ingredient. Apparently because the farm/farms use it for bedding. That grower is the largest in the country. The cocoa hulls originate from the Hershey chocolate people in Hershey Pa.

It's also possible that the farmer doesn't use bedding; which is what my source of horse manure does. There's no floor in the barn so the urine soaks into the ground under the barn. That would mean that there's not much urea.

I wouldn't call any compost in a bag as being sold for a reasonable cost. Let's compare peat to mushroom compost. Peat is $10 for a 3 cu ft bag. There's 27 cu ft in a cu yard. So peat is $90 a yard versus the $42 for the mushroom compost. You could get the yard plus free delivery for the $90 and lunch. The bagged stuff is sold by the pound and it's very wet. A lot of mushroom compost is very dry and fluffy. So your probably buying mostly water in the bags.

Morning top thanked John D Zn6a PIT Pa
  • kokopellifivea
    3 years ago

There is the advantage of buying it in smaller lots, more convenient, cleaner packaging. The stuff goes on sale from time to time also.

The fact that it’s “compost” doesn’t mean that it’s organic. Urea ( the petroleum based fert, not animal urine) based compost as described would not be.

If you can borrow a pickup truck, you can load about a yard and a half of wood chips from the transfer station (13 large wheelbarrows or so) for free, spike it with about 10-12 pounds of urea and make your own in about 3 months for a few bucks.

Morning top thanked kokopellifivea
  • Morning top
    Original Author
    3 years ago

what is a "transfer station". Is there one in Gwinnett? Sorry if it is a dumb question. Thx!

• Morning top
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all.

• Morning top
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. I had earlier signed up from chipdrop but later cancelled it due to back (sciatica) issues. They drop it in your front yard, wood chips, for free.