Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soosun2

lamps for traditional bedroom

Susan Davis
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Natural Choice on walls, Cloud white trim, bed skirt lattice pattern in lime green, off white, and grey. Opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Comments (95)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looks like that is not a bench at end of the bed but a sofa table?

• PRO
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great comments! Thanks!
    Large mirror in room over dresser so keeping that.

Removing mirror over bed as a lot of negative comments.
    Cutting down console table to bench height (17-18”).
    Nightstand size 28.5 “ wide
    29” tall and 17” deep.
    Is this panel a good Size behind lamp?

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Needs to be higher above NS but trying for a visual?

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Home interiors with ease.... I think those lamps crystal clear lamps would be pretty perfect!
    Are they Lamps Plus, Overstock, Joss&Main, etc?
    Still waiting in comforter too!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

Here you go…all the info

• PRO
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    2 years ago

The canvas panel from great big canvas is 20x60” perfect size

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for info! Will research them!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Susan, may I ask what fabric or material is behind the lamp? I think it's a nicely small pattern, and colorful... if the lamp is 'just right' as to how muted or how dark it seems, is that ok to be earthy grey/green or what...

but what about the very distinct pattern of mirror....I could see lamp/fabric as set, but if mirror's contrasting trim were more washed-light, so the new items could 'shine' more.

Susan Davis thanked everdebz
  • R M
    2 years ago

Your room appears dark. My feeling is that mirrors behind new lamps should reflect light. Something similar to the one above the bed…
    try Ballard Designs. A large oriental style print with gold frame…light background on the wall by French doors. Rest the mirror on one nightstand and let us see the result.

Susan Davis thanked R M
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for input!

Lots of negatives on placing mirrors behind lamps due to fact I have large mirror over dresser that reflects the French Doors.

See Inspiration Room 2. shown above.....i could be very happy with something like that! LOL,

Want to raise headboard 7" - 10", remove the horizontal mirror over headboard, replace lamps with new lamps, something column shaped for a cleaner vibe, put some type of panels behind nightstands....either mirror, if that is going to be revisited, or fabric or wallpaper panel? Those are the goals for the room.

I am taking some time off due to Hubs having acute appendicitis this last two weeks. He is healing but slow going....All this input is very helpful and very cheering!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

This panel is a good width but I think it could be longer (higher). I know it's not placed at the right height right now but still, I'd want the panel to easily read as a long vertical. My amateur eye would aim for a panel that starts at around 3 inches above the nightstand and reaches the top of the current horizontal mirror above the bed. Even if you raise this panel 3 inches, I don't think it will reach that height. Hope this explanation makes sense. Hard to give alternate measurements without current ones.

Look at your inspiration room 2 again. (Pasting it here to make sure we've got the right one.) Those panels are pretty close to the ceiling. Again, if you haven't already, try the current above bed mirror as a panel because it looks to be the right measurements.

Also, make sure you break down what you love about this room. The colour palette is light with small touches of mid-tone colours. The room's palette is integral to the look and feel of the room. Your furnishings are dark. Not sure that some of the changes you're proposing (e.g. lowering the console table to bench height) will go far enough to help you achieve this room's look.

In any case, take the time you need to refresh this room to your taste. Wish you the best as you ponder your options and especially wish your husband prompt healing!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The panel is 24”W x 36”H.
    I appreciate your comments!
    The room is very low contrast with a soft spa vibe.
    The horizontal mirror is 19 1/2”W x 51”H. If I set it on the NS it ends
    where the top of the mirror is now. I am thinking that the I need to raise the headboard and get lamps before I decide on what to do behind the NS/lamps set up. I think the bedding should be done too to see if the impact is there or not? Some very good ad ice to ponder! Thanks For all the cool insightful comments!

• R M
    2 years ago

Susan, revisiting using mirrors. I firmly feel the lovely mirror above the dresser will not conflict. Check these and play around with the idea.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh yay mirrors behind the night stands would be sooooo easy, I think! Thinking fresh style arched top or should it be simple modern rectangle?

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am also going to move the dark Crane lamp to another room, and find a new lamp for that dresser.
    I have this print that can work with the bedroom
    Colors and give a lighter feel to the room. The dark print can go elsewhere also. So lightening up gradually. Also would the console cut down to bench height be better if it were painted or given a whitewash......suggestions
    Please?

• User
    2 years ago

So, just to be clear: Right now the game plan is mirrors behind the lamps and the print of the village by the sea/lake over the bed?

Pacific Coast Lighting Renzo Table Lamp, Set of 2 · More Info

I think it would be much easier to buy a bench you want (do you really need one if you keep the chair in the room?) than to try to cut that console table, and then paint it too? Benches are not expensive.

Searles Bench · More Info

Pillows for bed

Serenta Textured Velvet Pillow Shell, Set of 4, Mauve Shadows · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Imo, 3 mirrors is too many.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

The horizontal mirror is 19 1/2”W x 51”H. If I set it on the NS it ends
    where the top of the mirror is now. I am thinking that the I need to raise the headboard and get lamps before I decide on what to do behind the NS/lamps set up. I think the bedding should be done too to see if the impact is there or not?

So, the mirror IS the right size for above the NS! Aim for that size for panels (or mirrors). (Do you like the look of a vertical mirror there?) You can do these changes in the order you want but the NS panels are independent of the headboard height, imo.

Also would the console cut down to bench height be better if it were painted or given a whitewash

Again, before you permanently alter this piece, cover it with a light fabric (bedsheet?) to see if you like the visual impact of a lighter colour. And @User brings up two good points: do you even NEED a bench since you have a chair in the room? (Does the bench impede traffic flow to the doors in any way? I'd remove it for a few days to see if it's really needed in the room.) If a bench is a must, a new one that better fits the new look of the room might be the easier option. New bedding will impact the bench.

You posted asking for new lamp ideas but you have a vision for a whole room refresh here. Scope of changes depend on your total budget (your time and energy as well) so make sure you take the time to allocate your budget. "Little tweaks" can add up quickly. And nothing wrong with waiting for the new bedding to evaluate your next step.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Excellent suggestions all around..mirror or panels..... I will dig out some fabric that might make nice panels and post pics. Still waiting for coverlet. Will also look at wallpaper. Will post when I am better organized. Thanks one and all!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I added an old quilt I have to bring more color to the mix to get a feel for what the bedding color options could look like!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More color?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

"Sorry" I don't picture the quilt's pattern with mirror... unless? pillows could connect/bridge the delicate pattern, and bold mirror -- these?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/993683385/william-morris-design-floral-pillow?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=morris+pillow&ref=sr_gallery-1-10&pro=1

• everdebz
    2 years ago
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

I would go with more muted colors with your dark furniture…like the beautiful inspiration room you really liked..

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you..... quilt is place keeper to show green on bed to relate to green white grey bed skirt. Thanks guys.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hubs suggested we do matelasse in Ivory. His fave, we had it for years till we switched to Eastern King from California King. Coming this week, will post pics. Then start fresh with redo of bedroom.
    Thanks for all your helpful suggestions!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pattern and color.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

white textures always works.

• R M
    2 years ago

Always my favorite..loving it.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Love matelasse!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bedding arrived.
    Here is mood board for wall color, trim color, room hardware finish, wall to wall carpet, Cherry furniture finish, and existing bed skirt.
    Bedskirt does not work with coverlet. Options? Bedskirt or cherry wood toned platform base with legs? Still need lamps?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

No bed skirt if possible does your bed have finished side rails? Would look much better.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the coverlet on the bed correctly. Suggestions for bed skirt , wood bed frame. What?

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

See above.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

It looks good but I would add more in the green color and more art to give the room some life.
    The carpet has a pink undertone which must be considered if you intend to keep it.

Susan Davis thanked felizlady
  • User
    2 years ago

The coverlet is beautiful. If you like, it helps make sense of the mirror over the headboaard, but maybe you are on your way to replacing it. I’m wondering if you keep everything, if maybe an accent wall of wall paper would do the trick for now. Something dramatic? Might take some doing to find what works for you and the room

York Wallcoverings FB1471 Florence Broadhurst Waterjet Wallpaper Purple · More Info

Tulipa Off-White Floral Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Plum Branches Wallpaper, Sandy White, Double Roll · More Info

?

Susan Davis thanked User
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

I would get a wood bed frame no question it will look very nice..the coverlet looks too big? What size is your bed?

Susan Davis thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I think a wood frame would be nice.
    The bed is an Eastern King size.
    The correct coverlet placement is the picture directly below the mood board.

• Gargamel
    2 years ago

What about upholstering the inner part of your headboard (leave the wood outline) ..?

Susan Davis thanked Gargamel
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Considering this type of bed skirt/wrap.wrap around bed skirt.

Opinions.....they offer samples for color coordination/match so i am ordering them....will get back later.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I think a wood frame would be nice.
    The correct coverlet placement is the picture directly below the mood board.
    John the lamps are lovely and inspiring....I have been to U.K., but don’t live there. Plus their lamps are wired a bit differently than US.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I returned the Ivory coverlet today. Found another on I think I will like. And the bed wrap/bed skirt sample are being mailed as we speak. Will get back to you when I have actual samples! Thanks for all the great advice!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

Susan the bed wrap is very interesting..anxious to see if it looks as good as the photo…hope so! I live a off white or white bedding the coverlet is very traditional if wanting to move into a more contemporary look I would just do a solid duvet.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The new bedding which is off white and works with the existing bed skirt. Now need to decide if Hubby and I prefer the off white by JCPenny or the creamy white by Peacock Alley? Still waiting on bed wrap samples which is another considering?

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Peacock Alley coverlet with bed skirt.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

If using that green bedskirt the coverlets texture does not mix well with it..you need solid off white cotton smooth finish with it..

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Polyester velvet, quilted, 90% cotton, 10% other fiber filling,

100% Polyester Faux Velvet Reversible Coverlet Set, MP13-6467 · More Info

Susan Davis thanked everdebz