Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ervin10

1920’s home. How to balance or use space?

ervin10
last year
last modified: last year

We have one wall for the sofa. Small 1920‘s home with two little windows (we use the windows, no AC). Large windows with radiator on other wall. Fireplace on the other wall. stairwell and TV on other wall. Should I match end tables? I just bought the one on the ”right” for trial. What to place in between windows? Small table behind sofa? Something is off. And its a small (but loving) space, so neutrals and scandi design is encouraged. I do have decor, just need layout/height suggestions. Thank you.

Comments (18)

• Susan
    last year

Very cozy room! Just needs some tweaking…seems the sofa is in the right place for tv viewing. Not sure what is to the right of the sofa area, but pull the chair forward so it sits slightly closer than the sofa and feels part of a seating group with the sofa. Move the “trial” end table to the left of the sofa and try a round end table between the sofa and chair. Any chance another of the same table lamp is available so the table lamps could match? Pole lamp is not needed in this room. A larger sunburst placed lower in closer proximity to the sofa would work.

• apple_pie_order
    last year

Please upload a floor plan with measurements in large, dark writing.

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

a slim sofa table behind the sofa with a vignette like this would soften the space.

• Otter Play
    last year

Will you use the fireplace?
    Do you have any seating near it if you will?
    That small white chair might work, unless that would block the staircase.

• Kendrah
    last year

You need minimal wall decor in this space. The windows and fireplace are great architectural elements and adding too many other things will detract from them and make the room jumbled. The art to the right of the windows is perfect size and placement. I'd consider hanging two square pictures one above the other on the far right side of the wall to the right of where the ceiling beam is. It might help frame the space, and make that part of the wall look like it belongs to the next room instead of being an extension of the living room.

The problem is not enough texture and too many rectangles. Get round side tables that have an open feel. Hang plug in wall sconces above them. Get a round tray with some texture for the ottoman/bench. Get smaller throw pillows with some variation and texture. Then see if you even need anything on the wall above the sofa. If so, go with something like the round piece you already have, maybe slightly larger and hung lower.

Who uses the arm chair, when, and for conversation, TV watching? It seems out of place there. I would not put a console behind the sofa - bumping the sofa further into the space isn't going to do you any favors.

GDF Studio Finnian Wood Finish End Table, Walnut · More Info

Coaster Contemporary Round Glass Top Accent Table in Cappuccino · More Info

Chervey Tri Pin Side Table, Walnut · More Info

Golden Lighting 3694-A1W BLK-MWS Ryleigh 1 Lt Articulating Sconce, Matte Black · More Info

Hutton Round Wood Tray, Brown 18 Diameter · More Info

Criss Cross Embroidered Throw Pillow · More Info

ervin10 thanked Kendrah
  • ervin10
    Original Author
    last year

So I brought a round mirror home

• ervin10
    Original Author
    last year

• Valinta
    last year

Agree with pulling chair in closer to the sofa to create an abbreviated L shape. 2 new table lamps that are taller and more substantial - in blue tones to add to the Scandinavian feel. Fluffy white throw pillows on the sofa and a throw with blue and white pattern. I love the craftsman style.

• ffpalms
    last year

I think a mirror with more texture would be nice, and textured pillows as Kendrah suggested. I like all of Kendra's ideas for your room.

ervin10 thanked ffpalms
  • coray
    last year

I might try more natural wooden side tables, not black ones.

• keltikmom
    last year

To me, the room lacks warmth and an invitation to sit and relax. Maybe natural wood side tables, more autumnal colored pillows/throws. I agree with nothing on the wall - those windows are stunning. Pull side chair forward. Maybe that could be where a warmer color is involved.

• jck910
    last year

I don't care for the mirror: 1 - it's too high 2 - it reflects the stair railing nothing interesting. Art would be a better choice. I would look at rectangular art something about 2/3 the width of the sofa

• ervin10
    Original Author
    last year

Don’t mind the dog. Its a very small living room. Wood is dark tobacco color/stain. Everything is bare since we took down christmas decor and are cleaning/redecorating. Thank you for reviewing. We love the input.

• Barbara Lange
    last year

Is this a functioning fireplace? If not, you could sure use that space! Then you could possibly move the tv to the wall where your couch is and float the couch to face that way. To have someone come in the front door and right in front of a tv is not a good idea. I would look at brass and glass small but taller end tables. That one in the corner is swallowed up the way it is now. Maybe a larger rug is going to be necessary.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Swivel lounge where the dog bed is now - looks like the dog has claimed their spot :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I am aware of the issues in placing the sofa in front of the radiator but heat rises and this layout might work for your room. Also replacing the radiator with a more modern sleeker style might be an option for you.

• Susan
    last year

Beverly’s layout is perfect for those who prefer to watch tv while laying on the couch.