Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morris44

How to decorate these shelves??

morris44
11 years ago
I'm intimidated by these large shelves on my stairs! What should I put on them? On the other side of the stairs is a collage of picture frames. The ceilings are high. Any suggestions??

Comments (19)

• abbshel
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Large, oversized low round pots, maybe terra cotta, filled with succulents. The don't have to match exactly, just complement each other. One big pot per landing. The fake succulents look just as good as the real thing if you don't want to worry about plants.

I just took a look at another view of your landings and they look more rectangular - so maybe use rectangular clay pots instead. Play around with it.

Whatever you do, don't fill it up with little knick-knacks.
  • Coralee Angell
    11 years ago
    These are pretty large shelves and putting small items on them will only make them more obviously large. With that said, I would choose large and simple items such as a large plant and a large vase or sculpture. You could also place a piece of art on an easel.
  • PRO
    Edmonton Homecrafters
    11 years ago
    I would start by finishing the tops with some kind of solid surface and then trimming out the edges. I see the oak on the steps, maybe put hardwood on the tips or MDF painted another color. Then you can display anything you want on them.
  • PRO
    TJP Designs and Construction LLC
    11 years ago
    The top edge could have a crown mold installed to give it more of a finished edge (painted white) Nice spot to display large collectables.
  • morris44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions! Do you have any pictures so I can see examples?
  • morris44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Abbshel do you have any pictures? I like your suggestions!
  • abbshel
    11 years ago
    Sorry I can't get the pics to post, but if you do a google search for succulents in clay pots, or succulents in planters, you will see what I mean. You could use terra cotta, or glazed ceramic if you like more color.
  • PRO
    Trouble Free Electric
    11 years ago
    What ever you decide to put on them, it would look great with LED lighting as mentioned earlier. A great option would be DiodeLED's Sidewinder series.
  • PRO
    Welcome Home designs
    11 years ago
    The attached photo shows that you can use stair ledges to showcase collections.
    The trick is layering, staggered heights and grouping.
    http://houzz.com/photos/57217
    Do you have treasures you'd like to display?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Welcome Home Designs, my thoughts exactly.
  • Rawketgrl
    11 years ago
    If it were me I would probably build them up into shelves and put books on them.

However if you are going to decorate these as is, you do need to go big. No dinkyitis!

Hang old window frames (With or without glass) randomly on wall above display shelves.
    Lean an old ladder up against the wall on the lowest ledge and display a few wool blankets or quilts on a few rungs.
    On the second (middle) step place an antique table, or an antique sewing machine, or a funky spindly antique chair.
    On the top step place a large glass bowl or vase in a color you love.
  • bigsquirt
    11 years ago
    To add a little more, these landings are rather large in scale & need a simple adornment equally as large. Small items or lots of items will simply make them look larger. I agree with Coralee.
  • morris44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok we found some pots but we aren't in love with the look. Any suggestions on how to arrange?
  • Jennifer Coon
    11 years ago
    The pots are good, it is the plants and candles that arent working. Use the three pots only and fill them with simple, large architectural branches.
  • Rawketgrl
    11 years ago
    1st of all I love the decor at the top of the stairs. And the greenery is perfect. Nice job! Place the tallest and largest pot on the bottom most shelf. Grab the small pot from the top of the stairs and put it on the upper shelf with all the candle sticks. Put the 2 pots that are currently on the bottom shelf on the middle shelf.
  • Don Or Janet Cook
    11 years ago
    Uggg, why do builders burden people with these types of features? Who wants to dust ,clean yet another area! Lots of good ideas here though. Go big, as in a dept. store display big.
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    11 years ago
    If you can, add some lights, above. Spot lights!... recessed cans!...this is only for later of course!...after you talk to your electrician!.. you have a wonderful opportunity here!..
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    Your space reminds me of Greek isles. Blue glass. Bright flowers. Keep it simple.
    exterior · More Info

palm springs dining room · More Info

Appleton & Associates Inc. Architects · More Info

Summer House, Island of Kythira, Greece · More Info