Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aynb

30 inch slide in or free standing electic range stove

Aynb
12 years ago

I am replacing my current stove which is free standing maytag gemini.

Which option is better, slide in or free standing.

I use my range stove daily to do cooking for lunch and dinner and atleast 3-4 times for guests.

I am looking for a unit which is in the range of $1700 - $2k as well as easy to maintain and clean.

I rarely use the oven below but could like to have them as convinent options.

Comments (8)

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

Think about getting an induction range; its far superior to an old fashioned electric one, and can be had within your price range. [I suppose the biggest downside to induction is that you may need new cookware, if your current set is non-magnetic.] There are several threads here on induction.

Others may weigh in on which is better, but I got a slide in mainly because its controls were in the front. This seems like a matter of preference; and, anyway, not all free standing ranges' controls are in the rear.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

A slide-in will need something at the back of the countertop to fill in the gap between it and the wall.

• Aynb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i was also impressed with induction after reading in GW; but the sample we saw in sears failed to impress us. I could love to have one, if can found something which can impress a very fussy about appliances hubby who knows cooking and have opinions about it.
    So any suggestions for stores to visit?

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

I suppose the advantages of induction vs. electric glass topped ranges would be: (1) speed of reaching high heat (e.g., to boil water), (2) ease of maintaining a very low temperature (simmering), and (3) ease of cleaning the glass top (since it gets less hot than an electric).

Perhaps store demonstrations illustrating those attributes might be convincing.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

Here's my review. After 2 months I still like my range a lot!

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Electrolux induction range review

• Aynb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the feedback and review. this looks really good for my needs. btw, did you do something special for the issue some other members have highlighted with the front of the stove and the counter-top?

• coco4444
    12 years ago

Aynb... we're also having this conversation on the kitchens forum, so I'll just post here once! Yes, I did know beforehand about the clearance issues, and since I have full overlay cabs I left a 1" filler on either side (actually mine's ~1 5/8 on each side since I had the room). As long as you have 30 +/- 1/16" between your cabinets and 31.5" minimum between doors/drawers opening, you should be fine (see the schematic below, pg 2).

Your other question on kitchens about cleaning with quartz... I've had no issues. One "negative nelly" I had over to see my kitchen reno suggested things would filter down and get caught underneath; that hasn't happened to me but maybe I'm not the messiest cook (although I'm pretty messy!). There is quite a raise to the outer trim, which keeps any spills on the actual cooktop. I guess if you wanted you could pull it out for cleaning like any other range.

Big advice is to look at the manuals online... specs and installation if you can find it. E'lux is pretty picky that the range can't rest on the countertop (it's not meant to be supported by the top trim) as well as those critical width measurements that the poor other poster had trouble with for their IKEA install. I just really liked the look of this range, and my only other choice for a slide-in induction was the Kenmore model. No perfect turkey button on that one! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux specs: see pg 2