Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avaclark

Vote for right pool finish--posted in pools (pics)

avaclark
15 years ago

You guys are so great and I value everyone's opinion on this site. I am having a very hard choice in deciding what to choose for a pool finish. Our current concrete is cracked and looks horrible so we are investing in new overlay finish.

Not much help from pool forum and hoping that this side will be able to help me.

So vote which you like the best. Cost difference is 300.00 between the 2.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Not sure on the color of this one but the texture is there

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I like the first one. The second one is common around pools I've been to and the texture tends to collect dirt and never really looks very clean after awhile. I guess you could pressure clean it, but that seems like alot of work to me!

Enjoy your pool!!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I like the first one best. The texture of the second one is very nice but the curved lines of the first and also the variation of warmer colors looks inviting. Is your pool area also landscaped?

• User
    15 years ago

I prefer the second one, only because the first looks like "faux stone."

• amac
    15 years ago

Definitely the first one!

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

I have an in-ground pool and if I had those options for a re-do, I'd choose the first one. It looks fresh and adds a nice decorative look to your back yard.

I guess one thing to consider is will one crack easier or faster than the others based on materials used and decorative finish? Are they equally comfy on bare feet?

Good luck.

• User
    15 years ago

Debi has good points. For looks, I like the first one too.

• determined_sammie
    15 years ago

I have the second one, and Carol is right...it does collect dirt. It looks great when it is clean, tho! I shop vac every month or more, spot-sweep as needed, wash with the hose when it starts to get a bit spotty, and power wash 2x/year. Keeps it looking pretty good.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

You're talking about the DECK? Or the POOL interior?

If it's the pool interior, I definitely prefer the Pebbletek in the second photos, and disagree with the 'looking dirty' comments. (Had one - loved it!)

But if it's the deck, I strongly prefer the first -- but with reservations.

There's GREAT textured concrete that looks almost exactly like natural stone, GOOD textured concrete that looks like good concrete, and SCARY-BAD textured concrete that looks like faux something. IMO, there are few things worse than BAD textured concrete, and for top coats, much more often than not, that's what you get.

It's the 'surface texture' where most of these coatings seem to fall VERY short, so I would absolutely NOT buy from a photo without inspecting an actual installation in person.

• avaclark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You have helped me make my decision. I am going with option #1. I just think this is something that is not seen around every pool. The cleaning issue was another important issue I had never thought of and cleaning is not something I enjoy but I don't want it to look dirty either. So option 1 will be my best choice--even though I liked both.

Thanks
    Ava